Mayer Brown's technology capabilities cover a comprehensive range of services to companies engaged in internet, media, technology, fintech, insurtech and ecommerce products and services—and the investors who finance them—across the globe.
No part of the global economy moves faster than the technology sector. Technical developments never stop, market innovation constantly tests existing legal frameworks and an increasingly global market offers both opportunities and novel challenges. It is an intensely competitive field, and working with the right law firm provides a critical commercial advantage. Our global footprint is built to serve clients who demand efficient and effective counsel with deep experience advising on precedent-setting disputes and deals that affect market participants across the globe.
Technology-related legal services have been a primary focus for Mayer Brown for over two decades. We represent and advise many of the world’s largest tech, media and fintech organizations, including Facebook, Google, Twitter, eBay, Alibaba, Lyft, PayPal, Accenture, Wolters Kluwer, HSBC, Goldman Sachs, American Express and Spotify. But we continue to marshal our strengths in both transactional matters and disputes to advise startups on a wide range of issues, including sophisticated technology transactions; high-profile litigation and dispute resolution matters; securities offerings and financing transactions; M&A transactions; intellectual property matters; employment and benefits; regulatory issues; and data privacy and cybersecurity.
Our international reach, deep industry knowledge and extensive technical legal capacity enable us to understand the myriad business needs of companies that are creating or leveraging technology. With on-the-ground teams in the key centers directing commercial and regulatory policy (including Washington DC, London, Hong Kong and Brussels), we take an informed and pragmatic approach to navigating major opportunities and concerns. And our firm is deeply entrenched in many of the cities where these technologies are being developed, including San Francisco, Palo Alto, New York, London, Paris, São Paulo and Singapore.
Our relationships are long-standing, and our clients rely on our perspective, analysis and judgment in general strategic terms as well as on individual matters. We work side by side with in-house teams, using our industry knowledge and legal understanding to anticipate and assess challenges in the marketplace and regulatory arena, crafting innovative responses and advising on market actions.
- Our preeminent Consumer Financial Services and Fintech practices are ranked Band 1 by Chambers USA for Financial Services Regulatory: Consumer Finance and by Chambers Fintech for Fintech, and we are ranked by The Legal 500 US as a leading law firm for Fintech and Financial Services Regulation. The Legal 500 US notes, “Mayer Brown's collective strengths in key areas such as financial services regulatory, payments, technology, capital markets, cybersecurity and data privacy, give it an edge in the increasingly competitive fintech market.”
- Our Litigation practice is recognized by Chambers in the Americas, Europe and Asia. Chambers USA notes that Mayer Brown is a “regular fixture in large consumer class action litigation. [The firm] offers substantive expertise in the technology and telecommunications sectors, including corporate disputes and issues of data security.” The Legal 500 US also recognizes our broad litigation practice in multiple technology-related categories.
- Described by clients as “a force to be reckoned with,” our Technology Transactions practice is named a Global Market-Leader by Chambers Global. In 2021, Chambers USA ranked Mayer Brown the sole firm in Band 1 for Technology and we have been ranked Band 1 in the IT/Outsourcing category for 17 consecutive years, with clients saying “We have never been disappointed. They are worth their weight in gold.” The Legal 500 US has awarded us its top ranking in the US IT/Outsourcing section for as long as the category has existed, and clients comment that the team is “very high quality; the lawyers are responsive, thorough, business-minded, and experts in their field.”
- Our Global Insurance Industry group is ranked as a leading law firm for Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory and for Insurance: Advice to Insurers and Insurance (Non-Contentious) by Chambers USA. Chambers USA notes that Mayer Brown has “a well-rounded practice, offering considerable transactional expertise…” and “[e]xhibits additional experience advising on insurtech issues.”
- Our Capital Markets practice is ranked in Chambers Global’s Finance & Capital Markets (International & Cross-Broder) category and is ranked by The Legal 500 US as a leading group for Capital Markets: Equity, Global, Debt and High Yield offerings.
- Our M&A practice is listed among the “Highly Regarded” groups by Chambers USA for Corporate/M&A (Nationwide), and The Legal 500 US ranks Mayer Brown as a leading law firm for M&A.