On September 22, 2022, FSRE partner Matthew Bisanz (Washington, DC) will speak on a Practising Law Institute panel about anti-money laundering and sanctions compliance.
Anti-money laundering and sanctions issues are topics of perennial interest, but the fundamentals of compliance are often obscured by large dollar amounts in headlines. However, these fundamentals are the foundation on which thousands of professionals protect our financial system. In this online briefing, Matt Bisanz, a regulatory partner in Mayer Brown's Washington DC office will survey the comprehensive compliance obligations of banks with respect to combatting money laundering and terrorist financing. He and his co-panelists also will address economic sanctions compliance and the implications of its strict liability regime. Key areas that will be covered by the panel include:
- Entities covered by compliance obligations
- Pillars of an effective compliance program
- Customer and beneficial owner identification and verification
- Enhanced due diligence
- Suspicious activity monitoring and reporting
- Information requests and sharing
- Currency, monetary instruments, and trade-based reporting
- Geographic targeting orders
- OFAC compliance program
- Sanctions screening
- Blocking, rejecting, and reporting issues
- State compliance obligations
For additional information, please visit the event webpage.