Joshua Woo is a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Singapore) in the IP and TMT practice in Mayer Brown’s Hong Kong office. Joshua’s main areas of focus include technology transactions, data protection and cyber-security matters.
Joshua’s experience includes acting for a IT service provider in a cyber-attack resulting in Singapore’s largest data breach. Joshua was also previous seconded to a Singapore digital bank where he spearheaded the legal team responsible for the digital bank’s technology procurement needs.
Joshua is a Certified Information Privacy Professional in Asia (CIPP/A) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Joshua is also an accredited mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC).
- Represented a Singapore IT service provider in Committee of Inquiry proceedings convened to investigate a cyber-attack resulting in Singapore’s largest data breach.
- Advised a Fortune 500 company on their cross-jurisdictional data flows and structuring of a data lake arrangement for the commercialisation of health care data.
- Advised a major American sporting apparel company on their data protection obligations across Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia.
- Advised a major American cloud-based software company on a transfer impact analysis relating to the impact of Singapore law on data transferred from the EU in the wake of the Schrems II decision.
- Conducted data protection compliance exercises and audits for companies operating in various industries (including healthcare, property management and hospitality) on compliance with Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA).
IP & TMT Advisory
- Acted for a government-linked entity’s investment into an exhibitions company specialising in the exploitation of movie IP, assisted with the IP aspects of the transaction, including the scoping, coordination and conduct of IP due diligence on the target’s upstream and downstream agreements with rights owners and exhibition promoters. The target company raised a total of S$235 million in this round of private fundraising.
- Advised a global technology company on data protection and telecommunications regulations relating to its multi-functional new-to-market IoT device.
- Advised a global hospitality company on the procurement of a cloud-based guest management solution.
- Advised a multi-platform media company on the implications of virtual advertising and post-production digital insertion of advertisements into works.
- Advised a regional health provider on the procurement and implementation of a Human Resources IT system.
National University of Singapore, LLB
Second Upper Class Honours
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore