"Very knowledgeable, responsive and in the details," according to one source, while another appreciates his ability to "deliver really effective and efficient advice."
"He has very good commercial sense," and "he has expertise and experience as well as grace under normal circumstances and under pressure. The level of service delivered is excellent."
"Pete is both an excellent M&A lawyer and a person you want to be in the trenches with when negotiations get tense and timelines are tight."
Pete Wolf serves clients on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, carve-outs, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and commercial transactions. Pete works for publicly traded and privately owned companies in the chemicals, agribusiness, energy (including renewables), oil & gas, infrastructure, automotive, steel, industrial manufacturing, financial services, and wine & spirits industries. He represents venture capital funds, CVCs, private credit groups, family offices, and founders and investors in connection with preferred equity financings of emerging companies.
Clients served by Pete include Ally Financial, Balchem, General Motors, National Material, Synthomer, TC Energy Company, Telescope Partners, and The Dow Chemical Company.
Chemicals and Agribusiness
- The Dow Chemical Company and its subsidiary, Dow AgroSciences LLC (now Corteva), in various matters, including the sale of its:
– Marine and storage terminal infrastructure assets and related equipment at three major U.S. Gulf Coast sites to Vopak Industrial Infrastructure Americas – a joint venture between the logistics firm Vopak and the investment company BlackRock
– Rail infrastructure assets and related equipment at six major North American sites to Watco Companies, LLC.
– Institute, West Virginia industrial park to Altivia.
– AgroFresh specialty chemical business to Boulevard Acquisition Corp.; and
– Vikane and ProFume businesses to Douglas Products and Packaging Company LLC, a portfolio company of Altamont Capital Partners.
- Synthomer in the sale of the OMNOVA Solutions’ laminates and films business to Surteco North America USA.
- Specialty Granules LLC, an operating subsidiary of Standard Industries Inc. and a producer of mineral-based granules and aggregate products, in a strategic alliance with Monty's Plant Food Co., Inc. and OrganoCat, LLC to develop multiple lines of mineral-rich soil amendments and plant fortifiers.
- LANXESS Corporation in the sale of its polymer additives production site in Greensboro, NC to a subsidiary of The Hallstar Company.
- Balchem Corporation in the acquisition of Bergstrom Nutrition, a leading science-based manufacturer of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
- Syngenta Crop Protection AG in various matters, including the:
– Negotiation of a research partnership with AgBiome.
– Sale of Dulcinea Farms, LLC, a leading producer of mini-watermelon and specialty melons, to Pacific Trellis Fruit LLC.
Energy, Oil & Gas and Infrastructure
- TransCanada Corporation in various transactions, including multiple wind and solar renewable energy projects and the sale of:
– a 40% interest in Columbia Gas Transmission, LLC and Columbia Gulf Transmission, LLC natural gas pipeline systems to Global Infrastructure Partners for $3.9 billion.
– its 575 MW Coolidge Generating Station natural gas facility (Coolidge, Arizona).
– its U.S. retail power marketing business to EDF Energy Services, LLC.
– its 3,950 MW U.S. Northeast power generation portfolio consisting of the Ravenswood (Queens, New York), Ironwood (Lebanon, Pennsylvania) and Ocean State Power (Burrillville, Rhode Island) natural gas facilities and Kibby (Franklin County, Maine) wind farm to an affiliate of LS Power Equity Advisors LLC.
– its 584 MW New England hydroelectric generation assets to Great River Hydro, LLC, an affiliate of ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC.
- Credit Suisse AG, Cayman Islands Branch, in the acquisition of Tuscany International Drilling Inc., an oil rig owner and operator that provides onshore drilling and support services to companies involved in oil and gas exploration, development and production, by virtue of a debt for equity swap pursuant to a restructuring plan approved under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, as well as the sale of Tuscany International Drilling Inc.’s Brazilian assets to an affiliate of Grupo Indalo.
Automotive, Steel and Industrial Manufacturing
- General Motors in its $650,000,000 investment in Lithium Americas Corporation to develop the Thacker Pass lithium mine in Nevada, which was announced on January 31, 2023, which represented the largest-ever investment by an automaker to produce battery raw materials.
- National Material in the sale of:
– National Material of Mexico, a leading independent service center and materials supplier serving automotive and industrial end markets in North America with ten facilities throughout Mexico, to Klöckner & Co’s U.S. subsidiary, Kloeckner Metals Corporation).
– Astro Shapes LLC, a leading manufacturer of custom-finished aluminum extrusions in the Midwest and Northeast United States, on its acquisition by Monomoy Capital Partners.
- Selling shareholders of Bolttech Mannings, Inc., a leading provider of technical bolting, heat treating, leak sealing, and non-destructive testing services to the North American power generation, downstream, and industrial markets, in connection with its acquisition by Taurus Industrial Group, LLC, a portfolio company of SCF Partners.
- A worldwide steel company in the divestiture of its LaPlace and Vinton Long Carbon facilities in the United States to an affiliate of Black Diamond Capital Management, LLC.
- Two worldwide steel and mining companies in the sale of their respective 50 percent interests in Gallatin Steel Company, a manufacturer of hot rolled steel coils, to Nucor Corporation for $770 million.
Fintech and Financial Institutions M&A
- American Express Company in the sale of its prepaid reloadable and gift card products business in the United States to InComm, and in its appointment of InComm as its program manager, issuer processor and exclusive distributor for its reloadable and gift card products.
- Envestnet, Inc., a leading provider of intelligent systems for wealth management and financial wellness, in the acquisition of FolioDynamix, which provides financial institutions and registered investment advisors with an end-to-end technology solution to assist advisors in creating model portfolios and delivering overlay management services, from Actua Corp.
- Ally Financial Inc. in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of BlueYield, Inc., a provider of online automobile loan aggregation services.
- The venture capital arm of a bank holding company in numerous investments in emerging fintech companies at various fundraising stages, including an online direct mortgage lender.
- Diversified financial services holding company in entering into a royalty-free, perpetual license agreement to use a fintech company’s auto data aggregator software.
E-Commerce, Technology and Media
- Leading online international platform for buing and selling fine wines in its acquisition of a U.S. online wine and storage business.
- Leading online wine retailer in the sale of its business to a portfolio company of a private equity fund.
- Several private equity, private credit, venture capital and growth equity funds in various early-, mid- and late-stage investments in software, e-commerce and life sciences emerging companies.
- Global leader in connected access solutions and products in its acquisition of an AI startup specializing in developing facial recognition software.
- Wolters Kluwer in the sale of Corsearch, its trademark solutions business, to Audax Private Equity.
- A worldwide professional services company in various minority investments, including in a start-up specializing in cybersecurity solutions.
- Software company that provides a talent communication platform in connection with a recapitalization and preferred stock issuance.
The University of Chicago Law School, JD
Bucknell University, BA
- The University of Chicago Law School 1902 Leadership Committee
- The University of Chicago Law School Bay Area Alumni Committee
- Board of Directors of the Walter S. Mander Foundation
- Active on Mayer Brown’s ESG initiatives
- Assistant coach of his son’s Little League team
- Ranked as an “Up & Coming” leading Corporate/M&A lawyer in Chambers USA.
- “Pete is both an excellent M&A lawyer and a person you want to be in the trenches with when negotiations get tense and timelines are tight." - Chambers USA
- “He has very good commercial sense…he has expertise and experience as well as grace under normal circumstances and under pressure. The level of service delivered is excellent." - Chambers USA
- “Very knowledgeable, responsive and in the details…deliver really effective and efficient advice.” – Chambers USA