Pete is "very knowledgeable, responsive and in the details," according to one source, while another appreciates his ability to "deliver really effective and efficient advice."
"He has very good commercial sense," and "he has expertise and experience as well as grace under normal circumstances and under pressure. The level of service delivered is excellent."
Pete Wolf is a Corporate & Securities partner in Mayer Brown's Northern California and Chicago offices. Pete serves as the U.S. M&A Ambassador to Mayer Brown’s Global Chemicals Industry Group and is active in the Firm’s ESG initiatives. His practice focuses on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, carve-outs, joint ventures and commercial transactions. Additionally, he regularly represents clients in connection with financing of emerging companies as well as founders in the formation of startups, general corporate governance matters and exit transactions.
Pete is ranked as an “Up & Coming” leading Corporate/M&A lawyer in Chambers USA (2020 & 2021). Chambers USA 2021 highlights that "he has very good commercial sense," and "he has expertise and experience as well as grace under normal circumstances and under pressure. The level of service delivered is excellent." According to Chambers USA 2020, Pete is “very knowledgeable, responsive and in the details,” and is appreciated for his ability to “deliver really effective and efficient advice.”
Pete's clients include publicly-traded and privately-owned companies in the chemicals, agribusiness, energy (including renewables), oil & gas, and wine & spirits industries. He also regularly represents bank holding companies and financial services firms, as well as private equity, private debt, venture capital and growth equity funds.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2013, Pete was a member of the Corporate & Securities practice group of a prominent national law firm in Chicago. He received his JD from the University of Chicago Law School in 2010 and his BA in economics from Bucknell University in 2004. Pete is a member of the University of Chicago Law School 1902 Leadership Committee and the Bay Area Alumni Committee. He also serves on the board of directors of the Walter S. Mander Foundation, a Chicago-based charitable organization, and as an assistant coach of his son’s tee ball team.
Pete Wolf Representative Transactions
Chemicals and Agribusiness
- The Dow Chemical Company and its subsidiary, Dow AgroSciences LLC (now Corteva), in various matters, including:
- the sale of its marine and storage terminal infrastructure assets and related equipment at three major U.S. Gulf Coast sites to Vopak Industrial Infrastructure Americas – a joint venture between the logistics firm Vopak and the investment company BlackRock;
- the sale of its rail infrastructure assets and related equipment at six major North American sites to Watco Companies, LLC;
- the sale of its Institute, West Virginia industrial park to Altivia;
- the sale of its AgroFresh specialty chemical business to Boulevard Acquisition Corp.; and
- the sale of its Vikane and ProFume businesses to Douglas Products and Packaging Company LLC, a portfolio company of Altamont Capital Partners.
- Syngenta Crop Protection AG in various matters, including:
- the negotiation of a research partnership with AgBiome; and
- the sale of Dulcinea Farms, LLC, a leading producer of mini-watermelon and specialty melons, to Pacific Trellis Fruit LLC.
- Specialty Granules LLC, an operating subsidiary of Standard Industries Inc. and a producer of mineral-based granules and aggregate products, in a strategic alliance with Monty's Plant Food Co., Inc. and OrganoCat, LLC to develop multiple lines of mineral-rich soil amendments and plant fortifiers.
Energy and Oil & Gas
- TransCanada Corporation in various transactions, including:
- the sale of its 575 MW Coolidge Generating Station natural gas facility (Coolidge, Arizona);
- the sale of its U.S. retail power marketing business to EDF Energy Services, LLC;
- the sale of its 3,950 MW U.S. Northeast power generation portfolio consisting of the Ravenswood (Queens, New York), Ironwood (Lebanon, Pennsylvania) and Ocean State Power (Burrillville, Rhode Island) natural gas facilities and Kibby (Franklin County, Maine) wind farm to an affiliate of LS Power Equity Advisors LLC; and
- the sale of its 584 MW New England hydroelectric generation assets to Great River Hydro, LLC, an affiliate of ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC.
- Credit Suisse AG, Cayman Islands Branch, in the acquisition of Tuscany International Drilling Inc., an oil rig owner and operator that provides onshore drilling and support services to companies involved in oil and gas exploration, development and production, by virtue of a debt for equity swap pursuant to a restructuring plan approved under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, as well as the sale of Tuscany International Drilling Inc.’s Brazilian assets to an affiliate of Grupo Indalo.
Fintech and Financial Institutions M&A
- American Express Company in the sale of its prepaid reloadable and gift card products business in the United States to InComm, and in its appointment of InComm as its program manager, issuer processor and exclusive distributor for its reloadable and gift card products.
- Envestnet, Inc., a leading provider of intelligent systems for wealth management and financial wellness, in the acquisition of FolioDynamix, which provides financial institutions and registered investment advisors with an end-to-end technology solution to assist advisors in creating model portfolios and delivering overlay management services, from Actua Corp.
- Ally Financial Inc. in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of BlueYield, Inc., a provider of online automobile loan aggregation services.
- The venture capital arm of a bank holding company in numerous investments in emerging fintech companies at various fundraising stages, including an online direct mortgage lender.
- A subsidiary of a diversified financial services holding company in entering into a royalty-free, perpetual license agreement to use a fintech company’s auto data aggregator software.
E-Commerce, Technology and Media
- A leading online wine retailer in the sale of its business to a portfolio company of a private equity fund.
- Several private equity, private credit, venture capital and growth equity funds in various early-, mid- and late-stage investments in software, e-commerce and life sciences emerging companies.
- A global leader in connected access solutions and products in its acquisition of an AI startup specializing in developing facial recognition software.
- Wolters Kluwer in the sale of Corsearch, its trademark solutions business, to Audax Private Equity.
- A world-wide professional services company in various minority investments, including in a startup specializing in cybersecurity solutions.
- A software company that provides a talent communication platform in connection with a recapitalization and preferred stock issuance.
The University of Chicago Law School, JD
Bucknell University, BA
- The University of Chicago Law School 1902 Leadership Committee
- The University of Chicago Law School Bay Area Alumni Committee
- Board of Directors of the Walter S. Mander Foundation
- Ranked as an “Up & Coming” leading Corporate/M&A lawyer in Chambers USA (2020-2021)