Michael W. Weigel
Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management, Corporate & Securities, Real Estate Funds
Michael Weigel has more than a decade of experience in the private equity funds industry representing clients on a broad range of matters, including structuring, negotiating and forming funds, co-investments, joint ventures and other investment opportunities. He is actively involved in all stages of fund formation and fund sponsor representation, including preparing offering and fund documents and advising on internal sponsor and investment manager issues. In particular, he has extensive experience forming open-end and closed-end funds with real estate-related investment strategies. Michael has also represented clients in connection with stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers and reorganizations.
- The Dow Chemical Company in its $860 million sale of AgroFresh Inc., a post-harvest specialty chemical business, to Boulevard Acquisition Corp.
- A worldwide steel company, as special counsel, in its agreement with Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation to form a joint venture at the closing of their $1.55 billion acquisition of a state-of-the-art steel processing plant located in Calvert, Alabama, from ThyssenKrupp AG.
- NorthStar Financial Services Group, a US-based asset manager, in its acquisition by private equity firm TA Associates Management, L.P.
- Macquarie Group in the sale of US-based Macquarie Equipment Finance LLC, a provider of lease financing, asset management solutions and remarketing of technology, healthcare and capital equipment, to Huntington Bancshares Inc.
- Two worldwide steel and mining companies in the sale of their respective fifty percent (50%) interests in Gallatin Steel Company, a manufacturer of hot rolled steel coils, to Nucor Corporation for $770 million.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, JD, summa cum laude
Order of the Coif; Note & Comment Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
- University of Wisconsin, BA, with distinction
Phi Beta Kappa
- US District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin