Helen Wang is a counsel in the Corporate & Securities practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office.
Helen’s practice focuses on all aspects relating to the formation, maintenance and restructuring of investment funds, including private equity funds, hedge funds and hybrid funds. Helen has advised asset managers, banks, state owned enterprises, professional trustees and fund administrators, as well as family offices and start-ups, across the Asia Pacific region in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Japan and Australia.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Helen practised Australian, BVI and Cayman Islands law working in international law firms and on secondment as in-house counsel with major financial institutions in Australia.
Helen is admitted to practice as a solicitor in Hong Kong and Australia. She earned a Bachelor of Commerce (International Business) and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of New South Wales, Australia. She speaks fluent English and Mandarin.
- Advised a leading Hong Kong real estate agency on student accommodation funds.
- Advised a multinational bank on the establishment of a real estate fund in the form of a Hong Kong domiciled open-ended fund company.
- Advised a Hong Kong and US based private equity manager on the establishment of a biotechnology fund in the form of a Cayman Islands domiciled partnership.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company on the establishment of a biotechnology fund in the form of a Cayman Islands domiciled partnership.
- Advised a Hong Kong licensed platform provider on the establishment of a number of hedge funds in the form of a Cayman Islands domiciled segregated portfolio company (SPC).
- Advised a Thai based asset manager on the establishment of a Cayman Islands domiciled cryptocurrency master-feeder fund.
- Advised on numerous reviews and due diligence exercises for investors on a wide variety of private funds.
- Advised a Hong Kong based multinational bank on its obligations as a trustee of a Hong Kong domiciled unit trust on compliance with the Code on Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds.
- Advised numerous clients on obtaining SFC Type 1, 4 and 9 licenses.
- Advised a global money transfer company on obtaining a Money Services Operator license from the Customs and Excise Department.
- Advised a European regulator on the sandboxes operated by the SFC, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Insurance Authority.
University of New South Wales, Bachelor of Laws
University of New South Wales, Bachelor of Commerce, International Business
- Hong Kong
- New South Wales Australia
- Instructor, Henley Business School-Hedge Fund Programme
- Rising Star - Private Equity Funds, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2023)
- Rising Star - Real Estate Funds, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2023)