Jared Wilner is a partner in Mayer Brown's New York office and a member of the Insurance group. He focuses his practice on advising domestic, foreign and alien insurers, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries and other insurance industry participants on a spectrum of insurance regulatory and transactional matters. These matters include mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, various distribution, services and other commercial contracts, reinsurance, insurtech, insurance product development, corporate governance, regulatory compliance and regulatory enforcement actions.
Jared began his career at the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), where he helped shape the policy response to various issues resulting from the 2008 financial crisis. In addition, he worked on high-leverage policy matters emanating from both the life and property and casualty bureaus, including several market conduct exams and regulatory reform initiatives.
Following his work at the NYDFS, Jared served as director and corporate counsel to Prudential Insurance’s life and annuities business units, advising on the distribution and administration of insurance products, reinsurance, company licensing and domestication and regulatory advocacy relating to market conduct exams and new regulation. He also gained exposure to many novel legal issues resulting from the transformational effects of technology and data on insurance company product design, distribution and administration.
Áreas de Enfoque
Notable transactional experience includes representing:
- One of the largest private US companies, in connection with the acquisition of certain title insurance agencies;
- A prominent private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a group of insurance brokers;
- A large health insurance producer in connection with the sale/assignment of certain assets to an assignee/acquirer, and the acquisition of an approximately a large credit facility;
- A New York life insurer in connection with certain reinsurance transactions;
- A Bermudan reinsurer on its cession of a $429,000,000 portfolio of legacy insurance business to an international legacy specialist group; the assumption of certain US/Canadian risk and related program management agreements;
- One of the largest insurance companies in connection with the sale of its legacy business for a purchase price of $100,000,000;
- A large mortgage insurer in various mortgage and credit risk transfer transactions with Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation and Federal National Mortgage Association and the subsequent cession of such business on a quota share basis to a panel of national and international reinsurers;
- A prominent online auto dealer in connection with its investment of USD 129 million in an insurance group; and
- A large global insurance group on the restructuring of its discontinued business programs and related reinsurance transactions.
Notable regulatory experience includes:
- Advising a global insurance group on the restructuring of its US business, including by handling all associated regulatory filings;
- Representing a large private equity firm in connection with its regulatory diligence on certain acquisition targets;
- Representing one of the largest energy companies in North America in connection with the establishment of a domestic surplus lines insurer in the State of Delaware;
- Representing a prominent reinsurance group in connection with the structuring, product development, filing, and negotiation of ancillary transaction agreements for a PEO large group health insurance program;
- Advising a various health insurance producers on all aspects of PPACA/Medicare/specialty health marketing;
- Advising a large health insurer on a forty-one state market conduct examination relating to the marketing and sale of certain specialty health insurance products and a related congressional investigation including with respect to the client's overarching engagement strategy and specific legal and regulatory requirements under applicable federal and state insurance laws, and the negotiation of a regulatory settlement agreement with participating jurisdictions;
- Representing a large global insurer in connection with its application to be included as an eligible alien surplus lines insurer on the NAIC Quarterly Listing of Alien Insurers and advising on related US insurance regulatory requirements applicable to surplus lines insurers;
- Counseling incumbent insurers as well as insuretech startups on all aspects of US state insurance regulation; and
- Advising on the structuring and distribution of various multi-jurisdictional insurance programs.
Fordham University School of Law, JD
New York University, BA, Philosophy and Politics
- New Jersey
- Nueva York