James "is a legal master with the most wonderful personality," he "provides absolutely excellent client service" and is "a go-to for high net worth individuals on immigration matters." "He gives excellent practical advice."Chambers, High Net Worth Guide 2022
James Perrott is counsel in the Employment & Benefits practice of the London office. He is an experienced UK immigration lawyer and leads the firm’s Global Mobility & Migration practice in Europe. James acts for private and corporate clients across a variety of sectors on UK inbound and European immigration matters. His practice includes advising on policy, processes and compliance and regulatory issues. In addition, he frequently advises clients on the impact of regulatory changes following Brexit, both in the UK and across Europe, as well as European mobility issues and UK outbound immigration matters. James is renowned for troubleshooting difficult situations, often persuading the Home Office to exercise discretion to approve complex applications.
James provides strategic immigration advice to companies in various sectors, ranging from FTSE100 companies to Small and Medium Enterprises, and supports start-ups in relation to the Sponsor Licence regime. As well as assisting with the full process from the initial Sponsor Licence application itself through to obtaining visas for migrant employees, he also advises and provides training on compliance with the UK immigration system and the illegal working legislation. In addition, he assists organisations in their discussions with the Home Office following the threat of, or actual, downgrading / suspension of their sponsor licences, ensuring they retain the ability to sponsor migrant workers.
James has successfully assisted high-net-worth clients with Investor, Entrepreneur and Global Talent applications as well as complex family, permanent residence and naturalisation applications.
As well as being a regular conference speaker, James writes articles for leading publications and has been quoted in the national press. He has also worked with UK Government departments on the development of immigration law and policy.
James is ranked Band 1 for immigration in the Chambers High Net Worth guide and is classed as a “Thought Leader” in Who’s Who Legal for Corporate Immigration. He is also a co-convenor of the Economic Migration Working Group of the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association, the main professional association for immigration advisers in the UK.
Áreas de Enfoque
Employment Law Update: Looking Back/Looking ForwardMayer Brown Audio
- England and Wales
- Immigration Law Practitioners Association
- Band 2: Immigration. James Perrott of Mayer Brown is a highly experienced immigration expert advising private and corporate clients from a range of sectors on European immigration issues, as well as UK-inbound matters. He also handles permanent residence, naturalisation applications and Global Talent visas. "James Perrott is excellent." Chambers UK 2023.
- James Perrott "is a legal master with the most wonderful personality," says one commentator; another reports that "James provides absolutely excellent client service." Perrott is "a go-to for high net worth individuals on immigration matters," says a further source, adding: "He gives excellent practical advice." Chambers, High Net Worth Guide 2022 (Band 1).
- James Perrott is a highly experienced immigration expert advising private and corporate clients from a range of sectors on European immigration issues, as well as UK-inbound matters. He also handles permanent residence, naturalisation applications and Global Talent visas. Chambers UK 2022.
- James Perrott "is the leading immigration lawyer in the UK," states a market insider, who adds: "He really thinks quite laterally about complex problems." He is particularly regarded for his expertise on Tier 1 visas, with one source stating: "He is an encyclopedia for investor visas." "James is technically brilliant, very accommodating and helpful to all international clients," comments an interviewee, adding: "He is plugged into the Home Office and understands the very complex rules which the government set." Chambers, High Net Worth Guide 2021 (Band 1).