Billy Lam is a partner of Mayer Brown. He is experienced in general civil and commercial litigation with a focus on property and banking litigation, shareholders' disputes, tenancy and employment disputes. He is a contributing editor to the Hong Kong Civil Procedure (The Hong Kong White Book). Billy was named as Leading Litigation Lawyer by Legal Who's Who Hong Kong in 2003/04. He speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Acted for a University in defending separate judicial review applications brought by staff members.
- Appointed as the legal adviser to an independent investigation panel appointed by a University in a public inquiry.
- Acted as legal advisor to disciplinary panels and appeal panels in disciplinary proceedings against students and staff of universities.
- Acted for a bank on an employee's fraud case and successfully recovered over HK$100 million for the client through interlocutory injunctive relief applications.
- Acted for a purchaser on a title dispute arising from an agreement for the sale and purchase of a property and obtaining favourable judgments in the Court of First Instance, the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal.
- Acted for a company and its majority shareholder in successfully opposing a winding-up petition by a minority shareholder in an appeal before the Court of Appeal and the minority shareholder's applications for leave to appeal to the Court of Final Appeal before the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal.
- Acted for the respondents in an appeal before the Court of Final Appeal concerning the question of whether the courts have inherent jurisdiction to make orders now referred to as Restricted Proceedings Orders and securing the dismissal of the appeal.
- Representing a statutory body in successfully defending a judicial review application relating to redevelopment of land.
King's College London, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong