Alex C. Lakatos
Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement
Alex Lakatos is a partner in the Washington DC office of Mayer Brown’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution and Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement practices. Alex practices in complex litigation, particularly in matters arising under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) and in other matters on behalf of leading financial institutions.
- Represented, and led trial defending, a global engineering and consulting business in a putative ERISA class action challenging the administration of its 401(k) plan with more than 18,000 participants and $2.4 billion in assets. The plaintiffs challenge the plan’s use of a third party investment manager and particular investments in the plan’s investment lineup.
- Represented a national entertainment company and two related committees in litigation challenging the investment options offered to participants in its savings and retirement plan and alleging breach of fiduciary duty arising from the plan’s use of an investment manager that choose to offer supposedly proprietary investment options to participants.
- Represented a global oil and gas company and its affiliates in a highly publicized class action challenging the administration of its 401(k) plan with more than 33,000 participants and $10 billion in assets. The plaintiffs challenge many administrative actions in administering and operating the plan and the trust, including the plan’s recordkeeping fees, its investment structure, and particular investments in the plan’s investment lineup.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, JD, Valedictorian
- University of Maryland, BA
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Participación Profesional y Comunitaria
- Board Member, Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, 2009 to present
- Project HOPE International, 2006 Partner of HOPE, for leadership in the provision of pro bono legal support in efforts to fight human trafficking
- American Bar Association