"[E]nergetic, attentive and thorough. He is the person we look for day-to-day."Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
Thomas Kollar is a corporate partner with over 15 years of experience advising issuers and underwriters on Rule 144A / Regulation S debt and equity capital markets transactions throughout Asia, Europe and the United States. His practice principally focuses on cross-border capital markets transactions and covers high-yield bonds, medium-term note programs, liability management exercises, hybrid securities, IPOs, equity block trades, equity placements and rights issues. He has considerable experience advising on US securities law and US listing requirements. He also has experience advising multinational corporations and financial institutions on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and a variety of corporate finance transactions.
Debt Capital Markets
- Advised Development Bank of Mongolia LLC in connection with its issuance of US$500 million 7.25% Notes due 2023.
- Advised BOCOM International Securities Limited, VTB Capital plc, CMBC Securities Company Limited, ABCI Capital Limited, China Silk Road International Capital Limited and Guotai Junan Securities (Hong Kong) Limited on the US$450 million 7.30 percent Guaranteed Senior Notes due 2019 by Excellence Commercial Management Limited.
- Advised Jiayuan International Group Limited on its US$350 million 8.125 percent Senior Notes due 2019.
- Advised the Joint Lead Managers and Bookrunners on the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka’s offering of new senior unsecured fixed rate notes, comprising of US$500 million 6.35% notes due 2024 and US$1.5 billion 7.55% notes due 2030.
- Advised Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, J.P. Morgan and Standard Chartered Bank as the Joint Lead Managers and Bookrunners on the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka’s offering of new senior unsecured fixed rate notes, comprising of US$1.25 billion 5.75 percent notes due 2023 and US$1.25 billion 6.75 percent notes due 2028.
- Advised Sinochem Hong Kong (Group) Co., Ltd. on a benchmark RMB 1 billion 4.4 percent Senior Guaranteed Notes due 2021 offering.
- Advised Credit Suisse, DBS Bank and two leading global banks as joint global coordinators, in the issuance by Rosy Delta Investments Limited of US$150 million 4.875 percent Guaranteed Notes due 2023 and guaranteed S E A Holding Limited.
- Advised China State Construction International Holdings Limited on its dual tranche offering of US$550 million 3.375 percent Guaranteed Notes due 2022 and US$250 million 3.875 percent Guaranteed Notes due 2027.
- Advised Shenzhen International Holdings Limited on its offering of US$300 million 3.95 percent Senior Perpetual Capital Securities.
Advised Vingroup Joint Stock Company on its offering of VND 3 trillion fixed-rate, unsecured senior bonds guaranteed by The Credit Guarantee and Investment Facility (CGIF), a trust fund of the Asian Development Bank.
- Advised PT Indika Energy Tbk in connection with its issuance of US$575 million 5.875 percent Senior Notes due 2024. This transaction formed part of a larger "bridge-to-bond" acquisition financing that enabled Indika Energy to acquire an additional equity stake in the third-largest coal mine in Indonesia in a deal valued at US$677.5 million. The deal was recognised as “High Yield Deal of the Year” by the IFLR Asia Awards 2018, “Best High Yield Bond” by the Asset Regional Awards 2017, and “Deals of the Year” for 2017 by Asian-mena Counsel.
- Advised BOCOM International as sole global coordinator of the offering by the Republic of Maldives of US$200 million 7.00 percent notes due 2022. The deal was recognised as “Best Bond Deal” in Maldives by the Asset Country Awards 2017.
- Advised Sinochem Offshore Capital Company Limited, a subsidiary of Sinochem Group, on its offering of US$300 million 3.124 percent senior guaranteed notes due 2022 under its US$5 billion medium term note programme unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by Sinochem Hong Kong (Group) Company Limited.
- Advised PTT Public Company Limited on its liability management exercise relating to US$350 million 5.875 percent notes due 2035 and US$600 million 4.5 percent notes due 2042.
- Advised SOCAM Development Limited on the issue of US$200 million 6.25 percent bonds due 2020.
- Advised PT Indika Energy Tbk in connection with its subsidiary’s issuance of US$265 million 6.875 percent Senior Notes due 2022.
- Advised Credit Suisse, China Everbright Bank, DBS, MUFG, Standard Chartered Bank and a leading global bank on US$200 million 4.50 percent Notes due 2020 guaranteed by S E A Holdings Limited.
- Advised Jiayuan International Group Limited on the issuance of US$100 million 9.75 percent senior secured notes due 2018 and subsequent private placements of 8.50 percent senior secured bonds.
- Advised the Government of Mongolia in connection with its issuance of US$600 million 8.75 percent Notes due 2024, which included an exchange offer for Development Bank of Mongolia’s US$580 million 5.75 percent notes due 2017 as well as a new money component. Credit Suisse and JPMorgan acted as joint lead managers and joint bookrunners for the deal, and SC Lowy acted as financial advisor for the Government. The transaction formed part of a larger debt reprofiling surrounding discussions with the International Monetary Fund in connection with its staff-level agreement to provide a three-year extended fund facility to Mongolia. The deal was recognised as "Best Mongolia Deal" for 2017 by the FinanceAsia Achievement Awards, “Best Sovereign Bond” by the Asset Regional Awards 2017, and “Deals of the Year” for 2017 by Asian-mena Counsel.
- Advised Bank of China (Hong Kong) on the establishment of its US$15 billion GMTN Program.
- Advised an Indian agri-business on its proposed offering of high yield senior secured guaranteed notes.
- Advised PT Chandra Asri and PT Styrindo Mono Indonesia in their offering of US$230 million 12.875 percent senior secured guaranteed notes.
- Advised Chinese Future Corporation on liability management exercises regarding its 12 percent Senior Notes due 2015.
- Advised iesy Hessen and ish in their offering of EUR 1.35 billion high-yield senior secured guaranteed notes.
- Advised The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company (NASDAQ: GT) on numerous debt capital markets transactions, including a US$300 million convertible notes offering and a US$650 million high-yield senior secured debt offering.
- Advised Calpine Corporation (NYSE: CPN) and its subsidiaries in numerous debt capital markets transactions, including a US$750 million senior secured high-yield debt offering and an offering by one of its UK subsidiaries of US$360 million redeemable preferred shares.
Equity Capital Markets
- Advised Westports Holdings Berhad on its US$680 million IPO and listing on the Bursa Malaysia.
- Advised Astro Malaysia Berhad on its US$1.5 billion IPO and listing on the Bursa Malaysia.
- Advised Maybank and CIMB as joint global coordinators on the proposed IPO and listing on Bursa Malaysia of an oil and gas services provider.
- Advised Maybank, Credit Suisse and JP Morgan as joint global coordinators on the IPO of Malakoff, a Malaysian power producer.
- Advised Global Logistic Properties on its US$2.9 billion IPO and listing on the Singapore Exchange.
- Advised GIC on its US$1.5 billion block sell-down of Global Logistic Properties.
- Advised GIC on its US$185 million (2013) and US$144 million (2014) block sell-down of Sunway REIT Malaysia.
- Advised PT Metropolitan Land on its IPO and listing on the Indonesian Stock Exchange.
- Advised PT Buana Listya Tama on its US$114 million IPO and listing on the Indonesian Stock Exchange.
- Advised PT Sawit Sumbermas Sarana on its IPO and listing on the Indonesian Stock Exchange.
- Advised Ayala Corporation on its US$165 million equity placement.
- Advised as international transaction counsel on the US$100 million equity placement by Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation.
- Advised as international transaction counsel on the US$36 million equity placement by Century Properties Group Inc.
Advised China Overseas Land & Investment Limited and China Overseas Property Holdings Limited ("COPL") on the spin-off and separate listing of COPL by way of introduction on Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised Meiya Power Corporation on its US$227 million IPO and listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong.
- Advised J.P. Morgan and CLSA as lead managers on the US$100 million Indian QIP of Prestige Estates Projects Limited.
- Advised Citigroup, Credit Suisse, ICICI, Kotak and IDFC as lead managers on the US$80 million Indian QIP of CESC Limited.
- Advised BBL Asset Management Company on the US$1.7 billion IPO and listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand of Jasmine Broadband Internet Growth Infrastructure Fund.
- Advised BBL Asset Management Company on the US$1.4 billion IPO and listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand of BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund. (Equity Deal of the Year, IFLR Asia 2014)
- Advised Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited on its US$1 billion equity placement.
- Advised Invesco Mortgage Capital (NYSE: IVR) on its US$170 million IPO and listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Advised SLM Corporation (NYSE: SLM) on its US$2.1 billion equity offering.
- Advised Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO) on its US$645 million equity offering.
- Advised MFA Financial, Inc. (NYSE: MFA) on over US$2 billion of equity offerings.
- Advised Ipsen S.A. in its EUR 324 million IPO and listing on the French Bourse.
- Advised France Telecom in its EUR 3 billion rights issue.
- Advised Morgan Stanley, BNP Paribas and Calyon as joint global coordinators in the EUR 2 billion rights issue by Suez, the French utility.
- Advised BNP Paribas and CSFB as joint global coordinators, joint bookrunners and joint lead managers, and Calyon and HSBC as co-lead managers in the EUR 604 million rights issue by Rhodia, the French chemical company.
Northwestern University School of Law, JD
Indiana University, Bachelor of Arts
Associate Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
- Hong Kong
- Nueva York
- Next Generation Lawyer - Mongolia – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Leading Individual – China, Capital Markets: Debt (International Firms) – Chambers Global (2019)
- Leading Individual – China, Capital Markets: Debt (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
- Other Noted Practitioner - China, Capital Markets: Debt (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Capital markets: Debt – IFLR1000 (2018-2019)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Capital markets: Equity – IFLR1000 (2018-2019)