Michael J. Gill
Global Investigations & White Collar Defense, Electronic Discovery & Information Governance, Securities Litigation & Enforcement
Mike Gill is an experienced litigator in high-profile civil and criminal matters. He has been trial counsel in more than 40 jury and bench trials in federal and state courts. He also regularly represents clients in arbitrations. In recent years, Mike has frequently called upon his broad range of experience to evaluate, through internal investigations, companies’ criminal, regulatory and civil exposures and advise them on risks and remedies.
Mike’s trial work emphasizes complex cases involving financial disputes, technology issues, contract breaches, and trust and estate disputes. He has tried cases arising from mergers & acquisitions, new technologies, bank fraud, financial services, construction projects, and purchases and sales of real estate and goods.
Mike also handles cases involving insurance and reinsurance, and has litigated these cases both in the courts and in arbitrations. Mike also served for many years as claims counsel for the Accountants’ Liability Assurance Company (a mutual insurance company incorporated in Bermuda).
Mike’s experience includes:
- Won a challenge before the Chicago Board of Elections to Rahm Emanuel’s candidacy for Mayor of Chicago. Objectors had argued Emanuel was not a resident of the City of Chicago (a requirement to become mayor) because he had lived in Washington D.C. as President Obama's Chief of Staff.
- Obtained a judgment for fraud in a confidential arbitration proceeding in favor of an alternative investment firm against the manager of an LLC owning a resort property. Following judgment, the firm took control of the LLC, which resulted in a significantly improved financial return for the firm’s investors.
- Obtained a judgment for Tenneco Inc. against El Paso Corporation in Delaware Chancery Court that preserved the historical property and casualty insurance coverage of Tenneco in connection with a corporate spin-off transaction.
- Secured a judgment for Standard Chartered Bank against the FDIC for the Bank’s loss in a fraudulent international wire transfer scheme.
- Northwestern University School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
Editorial Board, Law Review, Order of the Coif
- Northwestern University, BA
- Illinois Supreme Court
- US District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Participación Profesional y Comunitaria
- Adjunct Professor, Government and Internal Investigations, Northwestern University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Practice: Northwestern University School of Law, 1987 to date
- Best Lawyers in America - Commercial Litigation
- Illinois Super Lawyer - Business Litigation