Brian E. Davis
Real Estate, Corporate & Securities, Canada
Brian Davis is a partner in the Real Estate practice in Mayer Brown's Chicago office. He focuses his broad-based real estate practice on providing counsel to equity investors and corporate users of real estate in all facets of real estate investment, including joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions, and financing. He is adept at handling any real estate asset class, with particular emphasis in the areas of hospitality, retail, office and industrial.
Brian’s diverse practice carries into some of the most complex areas of real estate investment. Brian has assisted clients in developing programmatic joint ventures and other platform-style investments. He has developed and employed innovative structures for build-to-suit industrial developments that capitalize on the respective strengths of each stakeholder in the transaction. Brian also has extensive experience in distressed debt and equity transactions, including restructuring CMBS loans, acquiring distressed debt, and navigating complex capital stacks with the objective of maximizing value in distressed real estate. In addition, he has structured and restructured complex sale-leaseback, leverage lease and synthetic lease arrangements and has lectured and written in the areas of distressed real estate.
- Recently closed a synthetic lease transaction for a Fortune 500 company and is currently advising on one or more additional transactions for the client.
- Represented a multinational chemical company in the development of a synthetic lease for construction project. We were given the unique role, as lessee’s counsel, to be the principal drafter of the documentation.
- Represented a core property fund in a 50/50 investment in a signature office tower in Denver.
- Represented a private equity fund in a mezzanine and senior equity investment in a regional mall in Ft. Worth.
- Represented an insurance company in a investment in a portfolio of hotels.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- Ball State University, BUPD, cum laude
Participación Profesional y Comunitaria
- Urban Land Institute, Advisory Board Member of the Chicago Chapter
- CoreNet Global
- Adjunct Professor, Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2010-Current
- Adjunct Professor, Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, 2008-2009