Esther Chang is a Corporate & Securities partner in Mayer Brown's Chicago office whose practice focuses on U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and corporate law matters.
Esther represents purchasers and sellers of domestic and international businesses on complex public and private mergers, including special purpose acquisition companies, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, minority investments and strategic alliances. She also advises clients regarding private equity investments, as well as corporate governance and commercial matters.
She has worked with clients in a variety of industries, including fintech, automotive, manufacturing, packaging, life sciences, energy and nutritional products.
Esther was named to Lawyers of Color’s “Hot List” for 2020, which honors minority attorneys who are excelling in the legal profession, and was named a Rising Star by Illinois Super Lawyers between 2014 and 2017 for mergers and acquisitions. Esther speaks Mandarin and is proficient in French.
- Represented Climate Change Crisis Real Impact in its business combination with EVgo, an electric vehicle charging company.
- Represented Live Oak Acquisition Corp. in its business combination with Meredian Holdings Group, Inc. (d/b/a Danimer Scientific).
- Represented Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited in connection with the sale of APR Energy Limited to Atlas Corp., a newly formed holding company of Seaspan Corporation, in exchange for shares of Atlas Corp. for an enterprise value of US$750 million.
- Represented Elkay Manufacturing Company in the sale of Elkay Wood Products Company to ACProducts, Inc., a portfolio company of American Industrial Partners.
- Represented Envestnet, Inc. in the US$500 million acquisition of PIEtech, Inc.
- Represented RMG Networks Holding Corporation in its going private transaction.
- Represented Falconhead Capital, LLC in its acquisition of Kwik Tek, Inc., a leading designer and supplier of outdoor branded products for the recreational water sports and winter sports markets.*
- Represented Jarden Corporation in its US$13 billion merger with Newell Rubbermaid, Inc.*
- Represented FuelQuest Inc., a leading on-demand software and services company for the global downstream energy industry, in the sale of its Zytax energy-related tax automation business to Avalara, a leading cloud-based sales tax and compliance automation technology provider.*
- Represented a private equity client in the sale of a portfolio company in the technology sector to a Canadian public company.*
- Represented a private equity client in the sale of a portfolio company in the manufacturing industry to a private equity firm.*
- Represented Abbott Laboratories in connection with the spinoff of Abbvie.*
- Represented a U.S. public company in connection with its acquisition of a medical devices company in an 8 jurisdiction transaction valued at approximately US$287 million.*
- Represented Boston Scientific Corporation in connection with the disposition of its neurovascular business to Stryker Corporation, in a 40 jurisdiction transaction valued at approximately US$1.5 billion.*
- Represented a U.S. public company in connection with its acquisition of an investor relations, public relations and multimedia business in a 19 jurisdiction transaction valued at approximately US$120 million.*
- Represented a Dutch public company in the carveout of a business in a 16 jurisdiction transaction.*
- Represented Chemtura Corporation in connection with the sale of its PVC additives business through an auction pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.*
*The above representations were handled by Ms. Chang prior to her joining Mayer Brown.
Boston College, BA, cum laude
Boston College Law School, JD
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Alliance for Women of the Chicago Bar Association
- Co-Chair, 2013-2014
- Co-Vice Chair, 2012-2013
- Co-Chair, Programming, 2011-2012
- Alumni Board Member and Chicago Chapter Leader, Boston College Law School Alumni Association
- Vice President, 2020 - current
- Secretary, 2019 - 2020
- Treasurer, 2017-2019
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, Civic Leadership Counsel, 2013 – 2018
- LadderUp Program, 2007-2011