Legal 500 2020
'Rebecca Bothamley is honest, pragmatic, and provides market insight. She has shown a lot of flexibility delivering a product that best fits our requirements.'
'a junior partner who can run a transaction like a senior partner'
Rebecca Bothamley is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice of the London office. She undertakes a broad range of corporate transactional work and is particularly focused on public and private mergers & acquisitions (including cross-border transactions), acting on behalf of purchasers, sellers and targets. Rebecca also concentrates on corporate finance and corporate governance work, acting for issuers and financial institutions on flotations, secondary fund raisings and ongoing compliance with market rules. In 2015, Rebecca spent a year on secondment to the New York office of Mayer Brown where she undertook a broad range of work including mergers & acquisitions and advised on US securities laws.
Rebecca joined Mayer Brown in 2005 and spent six months on secondment to ICI plc as a trainee solicitor. In 2010, Rebecca also spent six months on secondment with the international operations team of GMAC Financial Services.
- Advised Shearwater Group plc on its reverse takeover of SecurEnvoy Limited (a leading provider of multifactor authentication software) funded by a placing and open offer.
- Advised Oxford BioDynamics plc, a revenue generating biotechnology company focussed on the development of epigenetic biomarkers, on its admission to AIM with a market capitalisation of £150 million and a £20 million fundraising.
- Advised Assured Guaranty Ltd., the world’s leading financial guaranty insurer, in its $347 million acquisition of MBIA UK Insurance Limited, the European operating subsidiary of MBIA Corp.
- Advised Rina SpA, the holding company of the multinational testing, inspection, certification and consulting engineering (TIC-CE) group for the Energy industry, on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Edif Group Limited, a portfolio company of Phoenix Equity Partners and various management shareholders, for £118.5 million.
- Advised Entertainment One on its acquisition of 70 percent of the entire issued share capital of Astley Baker Davies Limited, the UK-based creator and producer of Peppa Pig, that jointly holds the ownership rights to Peppa Pig with Entertainment One, for £140 million, and the related Rights Issue to fund the acquisition raising £200 million.
- Advised ASX listed Universal Coal plc on an investment by Ichor Coal N.V. of A$24.5 million by way of placement of ordinary and preference shares.
- Advised the Klesch Group on its contract to buy the Milford Haven oil refinery in Wales from Murco Petroleum.
- Advised North Sea oil & gas operator ATP Oil & Gas (UK) Limited on its proposed sale (authorised by the United States Bankruptcy Court (Texas Division)) by ATP Corporation (in Chapter 11) to Alpha Petroleum (UK) Holdings Limited by way of a UK Insolvency Act creditors voluntary arrangement.
- Advised Amira Hydrocarbons on its acquisition of a 20% shareholding in Petrel Resources plc.
- Advised Axpo Trading AG on its rights and obligations under agreements establishing the TAP consortium in relation to Shah Deniz II including gas sales, gas transmission and consortium shareholder agreements.
- Advised Entertainment One on its move to a premium listing on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on the sale of substantially all of its business and assets to Blackdown Resources (UK) Limited, a vehicle controlled by Nick Clarke.
- Advised Velocys plc (formerly Oxford Catalysts Group plc) on its £30 million placing in 2012 and further equity fundraising of £52 million in 2014 to institutions to fund the ongoing development and commercialisation of its gas-to-liquid and other clean technologies.
- Advised Ecofin Water & Power Opportunities plc on the merger of Ecofin Energy Resources plc with ASX-listed Amadeus Energy Limited to create a leading ASX-listed mid-cap oil and gas company with assets in Texas and Montana.
- Advised Entertainment One on its CAD$225 million acquisition of Alliance Films, the major Canadian film distribution company, related placing raising £110 million and re-financing of its credit facilities of CAD$360 million.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on a placing and open offer to fund its bank feasibility study for its Dutwa nickel project in Tanzania.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on the disposal of certain of its Zambian copper assets to Elephant Copper Ltd.
- Advised Genel Energy on its $4.2 billion merger with Vallares plc (now Genel Energy plc) to create a FTSE 250 upstream oil and gas company operating in the Kurdistan region of Iraq.
- Advised Marwyn Capital I Limited on its reverse takeover of Fulcrum Group Holdings Limited, a part of the National Grid plc group, and re-admission of the enlarged group to listing on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised on the formation and funding of Ecofin Energy Resources plc, a shale gas and oil company operating in USA.
- Advised UK clean tech business Oxford Catalysts Group plc on its takeover of a larger US clean tech business Velocys Inc. and re-admission of the enlarged group to listing in London.
- Acted for Kappa Energy, Colombia's largest independent upstream oil & gas company, in relation to its sale to TSX listed Pacific Rubiales Corp for $200 million.
- Advised AkzoNobel on the multi-billion pound disposal of the adhesives and electronic materials business division of ICI to Henkel in 42 jurisdictions covering Asia, Latin America, North America and Europe.
Nottingham Law School
University of East Anglia, LLM
University of East Anglia, LLB (Hons)
University of Maastricht (the Netherlands)
- England and Wales
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' 'Rebecca Bothamley is honest, pragmatic, and provides market insight. She has shown a lot of flexibility delivering a product that best fits our requirements.' (Legal 500 2020 Insurance)
- Recommended Rebecca Bothamley 'a junior partner who can run a transaction like a senior partner' (Legal 500 2020 Equity capital markets).
- Notable practitioner (IFLR 1000 2019 - Capital markets : Equity and M&A).