Legal 500 2020
'Rebecca Bothamley is honest, pragmatic, and provides market insight. She has shown a lot of flexibility delivering a product that best fits our requirements.'
'a junior partner who can run a transaction like a senior partner'
Rebecca Bothamley is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice of the London office focusing on M&A and equity capital markets transactions. Beccy has particular experience acting for public and large private companies and their boards pursuing "buy and build" strategies across various industry sectors including energy, mining, insurance, industrials and TMT. Beccy is the ‘go to’ trusted advisor to a number of corporates on day to day corporate, commercial and other matters.
Beccy is well known and regarded in the W&I insurance market and leads the UK W&I corporate practice. She regularly advises both buyers of W&I and transactional liability insurance products as well as a number of insurers in the market.
Beccy joined Mayer Brown in 2005 and was made a Partner in 2018. In 2015, Beccy spent a year on secondment to Mayer Brown’s New York office where she undertook a broad range of work advising clients on US focused mergers & acquisitions and advised on US securities laws.
Buy and Build
- Advised Entertainment One over the course of 12 years, including on its US$4 billion sale to Hasbro, Inc. which completed in December 2019 as well as a number of M&A transactions including:
- eOne’s acquisition of 70 percent of the entire issued share capital of Astley Baker Davies Limited, the UK-based creator and producer of Peppa Pig, that jointly holds the ownership rights to Peppa Pig with Entertainment One, for £140 million, and the related Rights Issue to fund the acquisition raising £200 million;
- eOne’s CAD$225 million acquisition of Alliance Films, the major Canadian film distribution company, related placing raising £110 million and re-financing of its credit facilities of CAD$360 million;
- eOne’s £178 million acquisition of Audio Networks and its £130 million equity placing;
- eOne’s acquisition of a 70% shareholding in WhizzKid Entertainment;
- eOne’s acquisition of 51% of The Mark Gordon Company in 2015 and acquisition of the remaining 51% in 2018 for US$209 million.
- Advised Shearwater Group plc since its formation including on its reverse takeover of SecurEnvoy Limited (a leading provider of multifactor authentication software) funded by a placing and open offer in 2017 and its reverse takeover of Brookcourt Solutions in 2018, as well as multiple other acquisitions and equity fundraises.
- Advised Wilmcote Holdings plc on its buy and build strategy.
Equity Capital Markets
- Advised IG Design Group plc, the world's largest consumer gift packaging business, on an accelerated bookbuild placing to raise proceeds of £120 million to acquire 100 percent of the equity interest in CSS Industries, Inc.,
- Advised Entertainment One on its move to a premium listing on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised Velocys plc on c.£130 million of placings over a number of years to fund the ongoing development of its technology for advanced renewable fuel plants in the UK and US.
- Advised Oxford BioDynamics plc on its admission to AIM with a market capitalisation of £150 million and a £20 million fundraising.
- Advised Aspen on its acquisition of Liberty's UK regional property and casualty business.
- Advised Assured Guaranty Ltd., the world’s leading financial guaranty insurer, on its $347 million acquisition of MBIA UK Insurance Limited, the European operating subsidiary of MBIA Corp.
- Advised Beazley Group plc on its acquisition of Creechurch MGA in Canada.
- Regularly advises a number of insurers in the warranty & indemnity insurance market in London and the United States.
- Advised two leading insurers on their renewal rights agreements.
Oil & Gas/Mining
- Advised Toro Gold, the privately held gold producer with its main asset in Senegal, on the sale of its entire share capital to Resolute Mining for c.US$300 million.
- Advised the Klesch Group on its contract to buy the Milford Haven oil refinery in Wales from Murco Petroleum.
- Advised North Sea oil & gas operator ATP Oil & Gas (UK) Limited on its proposed sale (authorised by the United States Bankruptcy Court (Texas Division)) by ATP Corporation (in Chapter 11) to Alpha Petroleum (UK) Holdings Limited by way of a UK Insolvency Act creditors voluntary arrangement.
- Advised Rina SpA, the holding company of the multinational testing, inspection, certification and consulting engineering (TIC-CE) group for the Energy industry, on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Edif Group Limited for £118.5 million.
- Advised Ecofin Water & Power Opportunities plc on the merger of Ecofin Energy Resources plc with ASX-listed Amadeus Energy Limited to create a leading ASX-listed mid-cap oil and gas company with assets in Texas and Montana.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on the disposal of certain of its Zambian copper assets to Elephant Copper Ltd, its placing and open offer to fund its bank feasibility study for its Dutwa nickel project in Tanzania and the subsequent sake of substantially all of its business and assets to Blackdown Resources (UK) Limited.
- Advised Genel Energy on its $4.2 billion merger with Vallares plc (now Genel Energy plc) to create a FTSE 250 upstream oil and gas company operating in the Kurdistan region of Iraq.
Nottingham Law School
University of East Anglia, LLM
University of East Anglia, LLB (Hons)
University of Maastricht (the Netherlands)
- England and Wales
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' for Equity Capital Markets, Media and Entertainment and Insurance. Rebecca Bothamley is valued by clients for her knowledge of transactional liability issues. (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' 'Rebecca Bothamley is honest, pragmatic, and provides market insight. She has shown a lot of flexibility delivering a product that best fits our requirements.' (Legal 500 2020 Insurance).
- Recommended Rebecca Bothamley 'a junior partner who can run a transaction like a senior partner' (Legal 500 2020 Equity capital markets).
- Notable practitioner (IFLR 1000 2019 - Capital markets : Equity and M&A).