"The anti-corruption and compliance group at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown is led by Luís Inácio Lucena Adams, who draws on almost 24 years of experience in public service, including as Attorney-General of Brazil between 2009 and 2016."The Legal 500, ed. 2019
Luís Adams is a partner in the Litigation, Arbitration and Compliance practices of Tauil & Chequer Advogados. In the Brasília Office, he is responsible for matters related to Superior and Supreme Courts. Adams has extensive tax experience, working as counsel for the Federal Treasury at the Ministry of Finance for 24 years, from 1993 until his resignation request in 2017. He worked as Secretary-General of Litigation for the Attorney-General of Brazil (2001-2002) and as Legal Counsel and Adjunct Executive Secretary of the Ministry of Planning, Budget and Management (2003-2006). In 2006 he was named General Counsel of the Ministry of Finance until he was chosen to be Attorney-General of Brazil, a position he kept from 2009 to 2016.
As Attorney General, Adams conducted major cases in the judiciary, being responsible for coordinating the environment agreement between the Brazilian Government and Samarco, Vale and BHP. He is a columnist for the legal website CONJUR, publishing articles on legal, tax and constitutional issues every Monday.
- Participated in the development of the Brazilian Clean Companies Act and of Federal Decree no. 8.420/2015, which regulated its implementation in federal level and established a cornerstone for the regulation enacted by all the other federal entities.
- Oversaw and supervised the leniency agreements with the Federal Government in the context of Operation Car Wash.
- Coordinated and executed the Framework Agreement among several public entities (federal, state and municipal level), Samarco, Vale do Rio Doce and BHP Billiton for the remediation of the greatest environmental incident in Brazilian history.
- Coordinated the drafting of several changes to tax legislation, such as the Law 11,941 in 2009, which resulted in the transformation of the Taxpayers’ Council into the Administrative Council of Tax Appeals – CARF, as well as the first general tax transaction bill forwarded to the National Congress in the context of the 2nd Republican Pact signed by the Presidents of the Republic, the Chamber of Deputies and the Federal Senate and the Supreme Court.
- Coordinated a tax agreement between the Federal Government and the State of São Paulo in the Original Civil Acion 1,059, resulting in the end of a dispute that lasted over 30 years.
- Coordinated the billionaire IPI Tax Credit dispute, which resulted in the Federal Government’s victory before the Supreme Court.
Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent), Graduation in Legal and Social Sciences
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent), Specialization in Law
- Acted as Attorney-General of Brazil from October 23, 2009 until March 3, 2016.
- Acted as General Counsel of the Ministry of Finance from 2006 to 2009.
- From 2004 to 2006, he served as the Deputy Executive Secretary for the Minister of Planning, Budget, and Management (MPOG).
- In 2003, he was the General Counsel for the Minister of Planning, Budget, and Management, where he coordinated the Deliberative Commission responsible for the management of the Integrated System for Control of Judicial Actions of the Union (SICAU).
- In 2001, he was named the Secretary General of Litigation for the Cabinet of the Attorney-General of Brazil.
- Currently acts as professor of Tax and Constitutional Law at the Public Law Institute of Brasília (IDP) and at the University Center of Brasília (CUB).
- Taught Tax Law at Universidade do Vale do Itajaí and General Theory of the State at the Fundação Educacional de Brusque (SC).
- Recommended in Compliance. – Leaders League, ed. 2022
- "The anti-corruption and compliance group at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown is led by Luís Inácio Lucena Adams, who draws on almost 24 years of experience in public service, including as Attorney-General of Brazil between 2009 and 2016." - The Legal 500, ed. 2019
- “...the highest-profile addition was undoubtedly former attorney general Luís Inácio Adams, who is tasked with heading the new compliance and litigation-focused office in the capital city.” - Latin Lawyer 250, ed. 2017
- Brasília-based Luís Inácio Lucena Adams is a key contact for compliance matters. - The Legal 500, ed. 2017