Over the past 30 years, Mayer Brown’s outsourcing practice has represented leading companies as customers in over 400 information technology outsourcing (ITO), business process outsourcing (BPO) and other outsourcing transactions with an aggregate market value exceeding $250 billion. This experience translates into superior skill at getting these deals done and current market knowledge that allows us to bring solutions that work and secure high-value commitments, options and incentives. Chambers USA has given us its top ranking in the IT/Outsourcing category for 17 consecutive years and Legal 500 has awarded us its top ranking in the US IT/Outsourcing for as long as the category has existed.
As outsourcing transactions have expanded to leverage cloud, XaaS, AI, RPA and other technologies, we have expanded our areas of expertise. Our role in the industry has been as thought leaders, developing contracting concepts to help customers secure commitments to value for each generation of technology. We have incorporated what we have learned into tools, templates, training, best practices and solutions that work in a variety of circumstances. As a result, we can deliver better outsourcing deals faster.
Mayer Brown’s outsourcing client roster includes the most recognizable names in the business world, many of whom turn to us repeatedly as their outsourcing needs grow ever more complex. We support these clients with their outsourcing strategies, including:
- Information technology infrastructure outsourcing
- Applications development and maintenance outsourcing
- Facilities management and site services outsourcing
- Finance and accounting outsourcing
- Human resources outsourcing
- Procurement outsourcing
- Telecommunications and network outsourcing
- Claims processing and other back-office outsourcing
We handle all aspects of managed service outsourcing agreements, including drafting, negotiation, and counseling on implementation and contract interpretation. We focus on a full range of issues, including business terms, intellectual property, legacy and emerging technology, data protection, security, compliance, risk mitigation and international issues.
Through our combined experience, we have developed an extensive library of precedents, methodologies and solutions, including templates and processes that streamline contracting. These are designed to deliver your top business objectives, ranging from best-of-breed services to innovation to cost savings. Our forms and processes save time by allowing us to provide well-reviewed, market-tested language and processes quickly.
According to Chambers USA, clients say that our team of lawyers “has cornered the market, thanks to its lawyers with great perspective—they come in and look at the nuts and bolts of the problem, and have practical ideas.”
International Association of Outsourcing Professionals
- Ranked as one of the top law firms in 2009 thru 2019 on The World's Best Outsourcing Advisors list for The Global Outsourcing 100™.
- Technology Firm of the Year, 2016.
Global Sourcing Awards, UK
- “Support Community Greats – Legal Advisors” 2018/2019.
Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards
- TMT Law Firm of the Year (Hong Kong) 2018.
U.S. News/Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
- “Law firm of the Year” in Information Technology Law 2016.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law National 2013-2018.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law Chicago 2013-2018.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law Washington DC 2013-2018.
- “Band 1” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing Globalwide 2008-2001; 2015-2019.
- “Band 2” ranking in IT/Outsourcing Globalwide 2012-2014.
- “Band 1” ranking in IT/Outsourcing USA 2009-2019.
“They are very good, and are able to communicate and synthesize information in a useful and easily understandable way. They are able to lead negotiations and talk to businesspeople in a way that evokes the responses. They are level-headed, calm and very deliberate throughout the process."
“…Mayer Brown is a force to be reckoned with.”
- “Band 1” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing Nationwide for 15 consecutive years (2004-2018).
- “Band 1” Ranking in Technology/Outsourcing District of Columbia 2008-2018.
- “Band 1” Ranking in Technology/Outsourcing Illinois 2008-2018.
“They’re very practical in terms of trying to identify solutions and giving very good advice on areas where it is reasonable for us to compromise or, alternatively, where to hold our ground.”
“We have never been disappointed. They are worth their weight in gold.”
Chambers Greater China Region
- “Band 2” Ranking in TMT 2022, 2023.
Chambers Asia Pacific
- “Band 2” Ranking in TMT 2011-2021.
"[O]ne of the biggest strengths of the team is their creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. They understand the law very well and seek creative ways to accomplish their clients’ goals."
"[P]ractical and commercial."
"They provide good practical solutions and tips to reduce risk and achieve business objectives. They also help me think ahead of issues that need to be addressed at a business level."
"Undertakes impressive mandates for technology and telecommunications companies, and is supported by an equally impressive IP practice."
- “Band 3” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing 2016-2018.
“They complete work quickly, their advice is high-quality, and they're responsive to our needs.”
“Commercial focus, thoroughness, depth of thought and expert communication.”
“Highly regarded outsourcing practice noted for its international reach. Advises on business-critical projects, often at the vanguard of technology, such as big data analytics and cloud services.”
The Legal 500 US
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Outsourcing/Information Technology 2008-2018.
- Ranked “Team of the Year” in Media, Technology and Telecoms: Outsourcing Category for 2014.
Mayer Brown is “very high quality; the lawyers are responsive, thorough, business-minded, and experts in their field.”
“Strategic, thoughtful and extremely well organized.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Serves an impressive list of high-end clients, covering matters such as data privacy, cloud services and technology agreements as well as e-commerce work.
Provides very insightful advice to clients across a range of TMT matters including data privacy, cloud computing and fintech.