"Stephanie Wagner is a 'really good, smart' attorney who focuses her practice on PPP matters. She is equally comfortable advising lenders, borrowers and underwriters as well as public sector clients. She has specialist knowledge of tax-exempt private activity bonds and TIFIA financing structures." "Stephanie Wagner is a young partner who 'has a great grasp of project finance work.' She focuses her practice on PPP work in the transport space and commentators note that 'she has a really good grasp of what has been done and can think quickly on how to modify transactions to fit a client's needs.'"Chambers 2017
Stephanie Wagner is a partner in the Government Relations & Public Law and Infrastructure Investment practices of the Chicago office. She practices in the areas of state and local government law, infrastructure development and public finance, representing public and private sector clients in a wide array of transactional, legislative and regulatory matters. Stephanie is recognized as "Up and Coming" in Chambers USA 2016, 2017 and 2018. Stephanie was selected as a 2017 “Rising Star” by The Bond Buyer. The publication recognized 28 “stewards of the public trust, dreamers and innovators” under 40 whose professional accomplishments “have already begun to shape the industry.”
Stephanie has extensive experience in complex government transactions, particularly in the infrastructure sector. Stephanie advises on path-breaking road, bridge, airport, parking, mass transit, convention center and social infrastructure concession and public-private partnership transactions, serving in different transactions as either government entity counsel, sponsor’s counsel or lenders’ counsel.
Stephanie also broad experience in public finance transactions. She has represented clients in tax-exempt financings as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, issuer's counsel, conduit borrower's counsel and credit enhancer's counsel and has participated in short-term and long-term financings involving educational institutions, 501(c)(3) corporations, multi-family housing, healthcare providers, transportation and professional sports stadiums.
Stephanie also represents clients in various state and local government matters, including in the areas of ethics, public utility tax issues and legislative drafting and statutory interpretation.
- Advising shortlisted proposer on the Colorado I-70 East project.
- Advising Chicago Transit Authority on the development of the Red Purple Modernization project.
- Advising shortlisted proposer on the Denver Airport Great Hall concession project.
- Advising shortlisted proposer on the Purdue University State Street redevelopment availability payment transaction.
- Advising the Texas Department of Transportation on the SH 183 managed lanes project in the Dallas-Forth Worth metropolitan area, which is being developed under a design-build-finance with 25-year operations and maintenance agreement, the first of its kind in the United States.
- Advised shortlisted proposer on the Georgia I-285/Highway 400 design-build-finance transaction.
- Advised WVB East End Partners on its long-term availability payment public-private agreement with the Indiana Finance Authority related to the development of the East End Crossing Bridge over the Ohio River between Indiana and Kentucky and related private activity bond transaction. This transaction was named North America Project Bond Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine and was awarded the Gold Award for Best Road Project and the Projects Grand Prix Award by Partnerships Bulletin.
- Advised a shortlisted proposer on Project Neon, a design, build, finance, operate and maintain P3 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Advised a shortlisted proposer on the Indiana Finance Authority’s I-69 availability payment project.
- Advised a shortlisted proposer on the Ohio Department of Transportation’s Portsmouth Bypass project.
- Counsel to the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA), which owns McCormick Place and Navy Pier in Chicago, on various matters, including:
- A Private Management Agreement for the operations of McCormick Place, making McCormick Place the largest convention center in the country to be managed under such an agreement.
- A Hotel Management Agreement for the new Marriott at McCormick Place.
- Advised CenterPoint Properties on its $8.9 billion proposal to enter into a long-term public-private partnership related to the Port of Virginia.
- Acting as designated lender’s counsel for the winning bidder (WMB Heartland Justice Partners) on the Indianapolis Consolidated Justice Facility project.
- Acting as designated lenders' counsel for a shortlisted proposer on the University of California, Merced 2020 project.
- Representing the underwriters on a $1.75 billion transportation private activity bond financing for the All Aboard Florida project.
- Representing TxDOT on a TIFIA loan for the SH 183 managed lanes project
- Acted as lenders' counsel for a shortlisted proposer on the Pennsylvania Rapid Bridge Replacement design, build finance and maintain project.
- Represented WVB East End Partners, as the borrower, in the issuance by the Indiana Finance Authority of more than $675 million in transportation private activity bonds to fund the Ohio River Bridges East End Crossing Project (named The Bond Buyer’s“2013 Deal of the Year”).
- Served as project finance counsel to Grand Parkway Transportation Corporation (GPTC), a public non-profit corporation established by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) for the purpose of acting on behalf of TxDOT by developing, financing, refinancing, designing, constructing, reconstructing, expanding, operating or maintaining some or all of the Grand Parkway toll project in Houston, which included negotiation and drafting of a“toll equity loan agreement” (TELA) between GPTC and TxDOT to support a portion of the $2.92 billion in toll revenue bonds issued by GPTC in August 2013 to finance the project.
- Represented GPTC in its negotiation and execution of an $840 million TIFIA loan for the Grand Parkway project, secured by the Grand Parkway toll revenues on a subordinate basis to the outstanding toll revenue bonds.
- Acted as designated lenders' counsel for the private activity bond financing by a shortlisted proposer on the Pennsylvania Rapid Bridge Replacement project, a design, build, finance and maintain P3.
- Represented underwriters on theRegional Transportation District of Denver’s $397.84 million tax-exempt transportation private activity bonds for the Eagle P3 Project in 2010 (Regional Deal of the Year by The Bond Buyer).
- Represented not-for-profit borrowers on two tax-exempt direct purchase IFA conduit transactions in 2015.
- Acted as bond counsel for the City Colleges of Chicago bond financing in 2013.
- Advised the State of Illinois, from November 2011 through January 2014, as bond and disclosure counsel, with respect to general obligation bonds and sales tax revenue bonds.
- Acted as underwriters' counsel for an IFA bond offering for the benefit of the University of Chicago in 2012.
- Acted as underwriters' counsel for an IFA bond offering for the benefit of Loyola University Chicago in 2012.
- Acted as bond counsel for various public finance offerings of the Chicago Board of Education.
- Acted as bond counsel for a refinancing by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District in 2012.
- Represented the Indianapolis Local Public Improvement Bond Bank’s $159.52 million of PILOT infrastructure project bonds that were part of the sale and transfer of the City’s water and sewer systems to non-profit Citizens Energy Group in 2010 (Regional Deal of the Year by The Bond Buyer)
- Represented the Regional Transportation Authority, as issuer’s counsel, on a variety of its public finance offerings and related matters.
- Represented the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, as issuer’s counsel, on a variety of its public finance offerings and related matters.
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif; Dean's List
Georgetown Public Policy Institute, Master of Public Policy
Tufts University, BA, magna cum laude
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Women in Public Finance
- Women's Infrastructure Network
- Member, The Goodman Theatre Scenemakers Board
- Member, 2015 Illinois Workforce Investment Board Youth Taskforce
- Fellow, 2014 Civic Consulting Alliance Emerging Civic Leader Fellowship Program