"'Top class' and '[Soumitro] brings cutting-edge experience to the table'"Law.Asia (2021)
Soumitro Mukerji is a partner in the Banking & Finance practice in Mayer Brown's Singapore office. In his professional career spanning nearly 15 years, he has advised banks, financial institutions, funds, corporates and financial advisors across the credit and geographic spectrum, including the Asia-Pacific (APAC) and UK/European markets. His practice covers leveraged and acquisition financing, fund-level financing, structured lending and general corporate finance. He combines his wide experience, commerciality and strong technical knowledge to produce excellent results for clients. Clients describe him as “knowledgeable”, “solution-oriented" and “energetic”.
Soumitro is particularly strong on highly complex cross-border finance transactions, including senior, TLA/TLB, mezzanine, PIK and super senior/unitranche structures. He also has in-depth knowledge of fund-level finance. He routinely advises financiers and fund managers on a wide range of fund financing transactions across all asset classes, including subscription line financings, umbrella facilities, NAVs, hybrids, GP facilities and other forms of liquidity solutions. Since 2019, he has advised on fund finance matters exceeding US$8 billion in value.
Soumitro is recognised by leading journals such as The Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Law.Asia. In 2020, he was named a Rising Star by the Fund Finance Association (FFA), being the only lawyer nominated from the APAC. Soumitro is an active member of the fund finance community and sits on the APAC Advisory Council of the FFA, where he supports the investment funds market within the APAC. He also sits on the FFA’s APAC Diversity Committee and is a vocal advocate for Diversity & Inclusion initiatives within the APAC finance community.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Soumitro worked at other international law firms in Singapore and London.
- Advised a leading Asian bank on its participation in a €5 billion umbrella capital call facility for a global private equity fund.
- Advised a leading Asian bank on a number of capital call facilities for an Asian special situations fund manager.
- Advised a leading international bank on a number of capital call facilities for an Africa-focused private equity fund.
- Advised a leading Asian bank on its capital call facility for an Indian asset manager.
- Advised a Singapore family office on its management company facility.
- Advised a leading Asian private equity fund on a number of its subscription line and GP facilities.
Leveraged and Acquisition Financings
- Advised an Australian mining company on its financings for the acquisitions of mines in Western Africa, along with related gold streaming and offtake facilities.
- Advised numerous US and European alternative credit providers on super senior/unitranche facilities with a deal value in excess of two billion dollars provided in connection with mid-market European LBOs.
- Advised a Thai steel producer on its financing for the acquisition of steel assets in the UK.
- Advised an LSE-listed telecommunications company on its restructuring and leveraged refinancing of around €100 million of debt facilities.
- Advised a European corporate on its €124 million senior and €40 million mezzanine financing for the acquisition of certain state-owned distressed assets in Romania.
- Advised a UK-based restaurant group on its mezzanine financing from a Middle Eastern private equity fund.
Structured and General Corporate Lending
- Advised a syndicate of lenders on a financing for a global aircraft leasing company.
- Advised a leading international bank on a multi-jurisdictional secured financing for an Indian conglomerate.
- Advised an Asian bank on a mezzanine financing for an Indonesian corporate.
- Advised a leading Australian bank on its financing for an Indonesian financial institution.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders in connection with their restructuring and enforcement strategy in respect of a project financing in Vietnam.
- Advised on numerous ECB financings for a wide range of Indian corporates and Indian public sector entities.
University College London, LLM, Banking & Finance Law
Merit, Master of Rolls Scholar
National Law School of India University, BA, LLB
- Singapore (Registered Foreign Lawyer)
- England and Wales
- Member, APAC Advisory Council, Fund Finance Association
- Member, APAC Diversity Committee, Fund Finance Association
- Member, Asia Pacific Loan Market Association
- Rising Star – Fund Finance Association Rising Star Award (2020)