a 'Rising Star' and a 'counsel to note'Legal 500 2020
Ruth Malone is counsel in Mayer Brown's London office and a member of the Commercial Dispute Resolution practice. She focuses on advising financial institution clients, representing them on a wide range of matters including fraud, mis-selling and misrepresentation claims and professional negligence. Ruth advises on disputes involving credit default swaps, CDOs (structuring and portfolio management) bond issuances, Public Private Partnerships, structured investment vehicles and investment trusts.
Ruth has deep institutional knowledge as a result of her fulfilment of an in-house role at a global financial institution. In that role, she advised on financial crime risk management-related issues arising from investigations conducted by the bank’s independent skilled person and a deferred prosecution agreement.
Ruth joined Mayer Brown in 2001.
- Advising a global bank in-house in relation to investigations by the bank’s skilled person arising from a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Advising an investment bank and an asset manager on a complex cross-border dispute arising out of credit default swap transactions, raising issues of jurisdiction (with related proceedings in Germany), misrepresentation, abuse of authority to enter into transactions, agency and portfolio management.
UBS AG (London Branch) & Anor v Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GmbH  and  (Commercial Court).
- Advising trustees of a Dutch bank on claims arising from the termination of various swap contracts.
- Advising on SEC investigations relating to suitability of financial transactions and sub-prime valuations.
- Representing an investment bank in relation to a UK Listing Authority (FCA) sponsor supervision team review of documentation.
- Representing lenders, creditors and managers of SIVs on issues arising from the "credit crunch".
- Advising UBS on the defence of a claim arising from the flotation of an investment trust. Court of Appeal guidance was sought on the interpretation of ss348 and 391 of FSMA in relation to disclosure under the CPR.
Real Estate Opportunities Ltd v. Aberdeen Asset Managers Jersey Ltd 
- Representing Bank of America in proceedings brought against it by the Liquidators of BCCI for fraudulent trading.
- Defending a magic circle law firm and its insurers in a large negligence claim arising from a complex financial transaction.
- Representing a firm of accountants in an investigation by the Accountancy and Actuarial Discipline Board.
- Acting for Liquidators of Robin Symes Limited (antiquities).
The College of Law, Guildford, Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
University of Leeds, LLB (Hons)
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Listed as a 'Rising Star' and under 'Other key lawyers' Ruth is a counsel to note - Legal 500 2020