‘Ruth Malone displays determined focus’. She is 'attentive, knowledgeable and always thorough. She tirelessly works to execute to our needs whilst continuously improving regular business processes. She strives to foster close relationships with her business colleagues. Ruth’s range and depth of financial crime risk knowledge are second to none’.Legal 500 2021
Ruth Malone is counsel in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of Mayer Brown's London office. She is an experienced litigator who focuses on advising financial institution clients in relation to disputes and contentious regulatory investigations.
Ruth has represented clients on a wide range of multi-party matters, many with cross-jurisdictional elements, including fraud, mis-selling and misrepresentation claims and professional negligence. Ruth advises on disputes involving credit default swaps, CDOs (structuring and portfolio management) bond issuances, Public Private Partnerships, structured investment vehicles and investment trusts.
Ruth has deep institutional knowledge as a result of her secondment to an in-house role with a leading international bank from 2018-2021. In that role, she advised the bank on a global regulatory investigation conducted by the bank’s independent skilled person and arising out of a deferred prosecution agreement relating to financial crime risk and compliance.
Ruth joined Mayer Brown in 2001.
- Advising an international bank in-house in relation to a global investigation arising from a deferred prosecution agreement regarding financial crime risk and compliance. The role involved advising and supporting the bank on a broad range of issues arising from the multi-jurisdictional reviews conducted by independent monitors appointed by various regulators (both UK and foreign).
- Advising an investment bank and an asset manager on a complex cross-border dispute arising out of credit default swap transactions, raising issues of jurisdiction (with related proceedings in Germany), misrepresentation, abuse of authority to enter into transactions, agency and portfolio management.
UBS AG (London Branch) & Anor v Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GmbH  and  (Commercial Court).
- Advising trustees of a Dutch bank on claims arising from the termination of various swap contracts.
- Advising on SEC investigations relating to suitability of financial transactions and sub-prime valuations.
- Representing an investment bank in relation to a UK Listing Authority (FCA) sponsor supervision team review of documentation.
- Representing lenders, creditors and managers of SIVs on issues arising from the "credit crunch".
- Advising UBS on the defence of a claim arising from the flotation of an investment trust. Court of Appeal guidance was sought on the interpretation of ss348 and 391 of FSMA in relation to disclosure under the CPR.
Real Estate Opportunities Ltd v. Aberdeen Asset Managers Jersey Ltd 
- Representing Bank of America in proceedings brought against it by the Liquidators of BCCI for fraudulent trading.
- Defending a magic circle law firm and its insurers in a large negligence claim arising from a complex financial transaction.
- Representing a firm of accountants in an investigation by the Accountancy and Actuarial Discipline Board.
- Acting for Liquidators of Robin Symes Limited (antiquities).
Co-author of a chapter on Securities and Banking Litigation
The College of Law, Guildford, Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
University of Leeds, LLB (Hons)
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Listed as a key lawyer for Banking Litigation - Legal 500 2023.
- Listed as a 'Rising star' and a key lawyer - Legal 500 2022: Banking Litigation
- Listed as a 'Rising star' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Banking Litigation. ‘Ruth Malone displays determined focus’. Ruth Malone is attentive, knowledgeable and always thorough. She tirelessly works to execute to our needs whilst continuously improving regular business processes. She strives to foster close relationships with her business colleagues. Ruth’s range and depth of financial crime risk knowledge are second to none’.- Legal 500 2021.
- Listed as a 'Rising Star' and under 'Other key lawyers' Ruth is a counsel to note - Legal 500 2020