K. Magnus Karlberg is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Corporate & Securities department in San Francisco where he focuses on US and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, buyouts, investments, divestitures, joint ventures and similar strategic partnerships as well as other corporate and securities law matters. Magnus advises clients worldwide in a wide range of industries, including technology, life science, consumer goods, insurance, banking and energy.
Magnus has been a secondee with the M&A departments of Nestlé S.A. in Switzerland and MetLife Inc. in New York.
Magnus’s publications include: Mergers and Acquisitions in the US Insurance Sector, Lexis Practice Advisor, 2015, co-author with Edward Best and Lawrence Hamilton, Mayer Brown LLP.
Magnus is a guest lecturer at Fordham Law School and Gothenburg University Law School on mergers and acquisitions and private equity matters.
Certain Representative Matters
- Nestlé S.A. in its $11.85 billion acquisition of Pfizer’s infant nutrition business.
- Nestlé S.A. in its on-sale of Australian, South African and Latin American infant nutrition businesses to the Aspen Group.
- Nestlé S.A. in the restructuring of its joint venture (Dairy Partners Americas) with Fonterra Cooperative Group of New Zealand for the manufacture of milk powders and the manufacture, distribution and sale of flavored milks and other dairy products throughout North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
- Nestlé Health Science in its license and collaboration transaction with Seres Therapeutics, Inc. for the development of biologics based on the human microbiome in certain indications. The transaction provides for an upfront payment to Seres of $120 million and contingent payments tied to development and sales milestones.
- Nestlé Health Science in its acquisition of Persona.
- Sellers in the sale of County Line Pharmaceuticals LLC to Alvogen Group, Inc.
- Nestlé in its $1.55 billion sale of Gerber Life Insurance Company to Western Southern.
- Global Atlantic Financial Group in the reinsurance of $9 billion of fixed annuities and other spread-based reserves of Talcott Resolution, The Hartford’s run-off life and annuity businesses, in connection with The Hartford’s sale of Talcott Resolution.
- Everest Reinsurance Holdings, Inc. in the sale of Mt. McKinley Insurance Company to Clearwater Insurance Company, an affiliate of Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
- Assured Guaranty Ltd. in its $810 million acquisition of Radian Asset Assurance Inc., a US-based provider of financial guaranty insurance and reinsurance, from Radian Group Inc.
- Assured Guaranty Ltd. in its $450 million acquisition of CIFG Holding Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb in a $1.4 billion pension de-risking transaction with The Prudential.
- OneBeacon Insurance Group Ltd. in connection with its divestiture of its runoff business to an affiliate of Armour Group Holdings Ltd.
- Asia-based investment company in its acquisition of Latin American insurance group.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in its acquisition of PrivateBancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: PVTB) for cash and stock consideration valued at approximately $5 billion.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in its $1 billion sale of a minority stake in American Century Investments Inc.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. in connection with its divestiture of the assets of its subsidiary, Plymouth Park Tax Services, LLC.
- TagMaster in its acquisition of Sensys Networks, Inc.
- The Jordan Company in its acquisition of Silvus Technologies, Inc.
- Global management consulting and technology services company in its acquisition of cloud native and agile development company specializing in integrated services, including digital business design, product creation and agile squads.
- SCANA Corporation (NYSE: SCG) in the $14.6 billion all-stock acquisition by Dominion Energy, Inc.
- TransCanada Corporation in the divestiture of is U.S. Northeast Power business to affiliates of LS Power Equity Advisors and ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC.
Harvard Law School, LLM
University of Gothenburg, JD, summa cum laude
Universidad de Granada (Spain)
- New York