Gary Johnson is counsel in Mayer Brown's Houston office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. Gary has more than ten years of experience helping businesses litigate their most difficult disputes. He has a broad commercial litigation practice representing clients in state and federal courts and arbitration. Gary also assists clients with internal and governmental investigations. He represents clients in the energy, construction, financial services, real estate, and insurance industries.
Gary represents both plaintiffs and defendants in business disputes involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, breach of warranty, and other business torts. Gary litigates and arbitrates a wide range of commercial cases involving partnership disputes, complex insurance issues, contentious transactions, environmental liabilities, indemnities, real estate disputes, and tax issues. He also represents clients in connection with bankruptcy proceedings.
In addition, Gary assists in counseling clients on transactions and contract drafting, including in mergers and acquisitions. His experience litigating disputes arising from transactions—in particular, asset and entity sales—helps guide clients to avoid lawsuits.
University of Virginia School of Law, JD
Virginia Law Review, Editorial Board
Rice University, BA, magna cum laude
- US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Member and former Co-Chair, Houston Bar Association Lawyers for Literacy Committee
- Member and former Co-Chair, Houston Bar Association Lawyers for a Beautiful Houston Committee
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Ones to Watch” in Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023