"Amy is very easy to work with; she's one of the most user-friendly, commercial and focused lawyers around." "She has the ability to drive a deal at a high level while not losing sight of the details."Chambers UK 2021
Amy Jacks is a partner and co-head of the Restructuring practice of the London office. She acts for a variety of funds, investment and clearing banks, insolvency practitioners, corporates, management teams and property advisors.
Amy advises on complex and often multi-jurisdictional restructurings as well as having undertaken many of the larger portfolio sales in the market recently. She has led various high-profile transactions across a breadth of sectors including, in the last few months, construction, retail, technology, waste, energy and automotive.
Since joining Mayer Brown, Amy's experience includes:
- Acting for funds managed by Permira credit arm on their acquisition of a large portion of the stationery retailer Paperchase, a move which rescued the business from administration.
- Advising Cath Kidston’s parent company, Hong Kong-based Baring Private Equity Asia, which bought the online, franchise and wholesale business of the brand, after the retailer went into administration in April 2020.
- Advising the joint administrators of Nationwide Accident Repair Services and 8 of its subsidiaries in all aspects relating to the sale of the business and certain assets to RunMyCar Limited. The business, operates a nationwide network of garages, servicing the accident repair market for a number of large UK general insurance firms.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Amy's experience includes:
- Acting for a US and English music platform group that provided crowdfunding from an artist’s fan base. Working with US colleagues to advise the respective boards and work with the management teams to deliver a controlled wind down.
- Advising 200+ boards of a multinational construction company (mainly in the UK but various overseas entities) to facilitate an orderly wind down of the group after their listed parent company went into liquidation.
- Advising a US listed corporate client on their substantial investment into the UK consumer finance market. This involved structuring and negotiating a complex debt and equity injection as part of the restructure and subsequent sale of the business.
- Advising the UK companies and subsequent administrators of a global automotive manufacturing business on an innovative funding and disposal process via a pre-pack administration, enabling the UK companies to continue trading and saving around 600 jobs.
- Advising the UK board of directors of a global IT consulting business in order to facilitate a CVA.
- Advising an aviation client around the operational restructuring/group reorganization options across several jurisdictions.
- Advising a key US customer of a bespoke kitchen and furniture manufacturer that entered insolvency proceedings around a defensive buy out strategy.
- Advising stakeholders in the collapse of a UK airline and separately a global travel operator around their options.
- Advising the administrators of a large distribution group around creditor claims (including double retention of title and group pension scheme issues).
- Advising on numerous portfolio sales, both buy and sell-side, of performing and non-performing loans and assets, aggregating in excess of £17 billion, including Projects Churchill, Urraco, Moon, Titan, Gatsby, Hieronymous, Leo, Arrow, Gem and Detroit.
College of Law, York, LPC
University of Leeds, LLB
- England and Wales
- INSOL International
- Amy Jacks has an incredibly strong work ethic and an ability to never lose sight of the big picture and required direction of travel due to distraction over the details. - Legal 500 2021.
- Amy Jacks acts for clients across the space including debtors, creditors and insolvency practitioners. She is experienced handling cross-border restructurings, including those with offshore elements. "Amy is very easy to work with; she's one of the most user-friendly, commercial and focused lawyers around." "She has the ability to drive a deal at a high level while not losing sight of the details." - Chambers UK 2021.
- In 2018, Amy was included in The Lawyer Hot 100 2018: Dealmakers list - recognised for her restructuring practice and her recent focus on deals that have included banking clients, as well as technology and renewables businesses. She "made a name for herself acting on both the buy and sell side for multi-billion European loan portfolio transactions".
- "'Superb' Amy Jacks is a ‘very strong all-rounder’ across a range of restructuring and insolvency work including in relation to portfolio sales" - Legal 500, 2017.
- In 2016, Amy was named Corporate Restructuring lawyer of the year at the prestigious TRI awards.
- Financial News named Amy as one of their '40 under 40 Rising Stars'. This award showcases the standout lawyers who have shown promise as they advise clients, and help shape the development of the legal sector.