Ulrich Helm is a partner in Mayer Brown's Frankfurt office and heads the German Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
Ulrich Helm supports your company in complex national and cross-border disputes concerning energy and infrastructure projects. He has many years of experience in out-of-court negotiations, mediation, dispute adjudication board proceedings, litigation and arbitration. He and his team know how to solve disputes efficiently through a planned approach.
He has already advised projects in over 20 countries and is valued for his strategic thinking. His industry focus includes in particular power plant projects, offshore wind farms, electrical grids, oil & gas (upstream), special ships and tunnel construction as well as public private partnerships (PPP). He has a profound understanding of technology in these areas. He regularly gives lectures on how to best deal with conflicts in large-scale projects.
- Represented a German utility company in an ICC arbitration of EUR 400 million against an offshore wind farm operator.
- Represented a German machinery manufacturer in an ICC arbitration proceeding for >200m EUR against a foreign consortium for defects and consequential damages under Swiss and French law.
- Representation of a German utility company in >EUR 150m ICC arbitration proceedings against a Korean power plant constructor due to delay, malfunctions and claims for defects under English law.
- Advising an international contractor in its ICC arbitration proceedings against its employer Disputes relating to the construction of a power plant in Poland; value in dispute >EUR 50m
- Representation of a German supplier in connection with DIS arbitration proceedings on delay, disruption and acceleration claims in connection with a German offshore wind farm project; amount in dispute >EUR 80m
- Represented a German contractor in 17 parallel DIS arbitration proceedings concerning numerous defect claims of a pulp mill project; amount in dispute > EUR 100m
- Represented a German employer in DIS arbitration proceedings concerning a notice of defects concerning a chemical plant, amount in dispute >EUR 50m
- Represented the operator of an oil refinery in its ICC arbitration proceedings against its general contract, amount in dispute >EUR 25m
- Represented a wind turbine supplier in two DAB proceedings against the buyer and operator of an offshore wind farm due to numerous claims for defects as well as claims for delay and obstruction with a total of 10 days of negotiations and an amount in dispute of more than EUR 120m
- Representation of a German offshore wind turbine manufacturer in a lawsuit against the construction company of an Italian oil producer due to one of the largest incidents on a drilling vessel with 27 court days before the High Court in London, amount in dispute >USD 250m
- Representation of an international manufacturer of large-scale plants in a civil lawsuit for delay and disturbance claims in connection with the construction of an offshore plant with an amount in dispute of more than EUR 500m
- Represented a German utility company in its lawsuit due to a power plant deficiency, amount in dispute EUR 10m
- Represented a German utility company in a lawsuit due to damages caused by delayed grid feed-in, amount in dispute > EUR 70m
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), University of Constance and Frankfurt am Main
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Frankfurt am Main
First State Law Examination, Constance
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- DIS (German Arbitration Institute)
- ICC Commission on International Arbitration and ADR
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® for Construction Law Construction Law 2013 to 2021, Arbitration/Litigation 2015
- Who is Who Legal: Recommended for Construction (2019)
- "Ulrich Helm is much admired by peers for his strategic thinking" (Who is Who Legal, 2016)
- "Recommended lawyer for Construction” by Expert Guides, 2016
- Key figure in plant construction with a "deep understanding of technology" and "high level of expertise" (Legal 500, 2016)