"He's a great lawyer to have on your side."Chambers UK 2019
Robert Hamill is a partner in Mayer Brown's London office focusing on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. He has particular experience acting for listed companies and their boards pursuing "buy and build" strategies across various industry sectors including energy, petro chemicals/downstream, mining, industrials and TMT. Robert co-heads the firm's global energy group which is distinguished by its "excellent quality of service" notes Legal 500, 2011.
- Advised Eland Oil & Gas plc on its c.$40 million fundraises by way of accelerated book builds to fund further drilling operations on its OML40 licence in the Niger Delta.
- Advised North Sea oil & gas operator ATP Oil & Gas (UK) Limited on its $1.2 billion restructuring by way of a UK Insolvency Act creditors voluntary arrangement and subsequent $133 million sale (authorised by the United States Bankruptcy Court (Texas Division)) to Alpha Petroleum (UK) Holidings Limited.
- Advised Axpo Trading AG on its rights and obligations under agreements establishing the TAP consortium in relation to Shah Deniz II including gas sales, gas transmission and consortium shareholder agreements.
- Advised a large Chinese engineering contractor on a $100million investment into a pan-African upstream oil & gas business.
- Advised Ecofin Water & Power Opportunities plc on the merger of Ecofin Energy Resources plc with Amadeus Energy Limited to create a leading ASX-listed MidCap oil and gas company with assets in Texas and Montana.
- Advised Canaccord Genuity on the IPO and £118 million fund raise for Eland Oil & Gas plc to enable it to acquire OML40 in the Niger Delta from Shell, Total and ENI (AIM’s largest oil & gas IPO since 2007).
- Advised Genel Energy on its $4.2 billion merger with Vallares plc to create a FTSE 250 upstream oil & gas company operating in Kurdistan (northern Iraq).
- Advised on the formation and funding of Ecofin Energy Resources plc and its acquisition programme of Shale oil and gas assets in the Barnett Shale, Eagle Ford Shale and Montana.
- Advised on the acquisition and subsequent listing in London of Fulcrum Group, the UK based gas connections business, from National Grid.
- Advised Kappa Energy, Colombia's largest independent upstream oil & gas company, in relation to its sale to TSX listed Pacific Rubiales Corp for US$200 million.
- Advised Corona Energy on the acquisition of Fortum's UK retail gas businesses and subsequent sale to Macquarie Bank.
- Advised Kaldair on the purchase of BP's trans-Atlantic flare-stack business.
Petro Chemicals / downstream
- Advising Wilmcote Holdings plc on its buy and build strategy.
- Advised Velocys plc on c.£120million of placings to fund the ongoing developments of its technology for advanced renewable fuel plants.
- Advised Oxford Catalysts Group plc on its takeover of a larger US clean tech business Velocys Inc. and re-admission of the enlarged group to listing in London.
- Advised BP on the $4.5billion development and project financing of two ethane cracker plants in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised BP on the sale of various downstream businesses to CINVen for $425million.
- Advised Sumitomo Mines & Metals (in consortium with Sumitomo Corporation) on the acquisition of a 30% stake in the Quebrada Blanco phase 2 Copper development in Chile for US$1.2billion.
- Advised Toro Gold, a privately held gold exploration company with projects in Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire and Gabon on a $40million investment by an Africa focussed private equity fund.
- Advised Wolf Minerals Limited in connection with its £99 million fundraising to enable the development of its tungsten and tin project in Devon, UK.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on the disposal of certain of its Zambian copper assets to Elephant Copper Ltd and the subsequent disposal of its Dutwa nickel project in Tanzania to Cienega Limited.
- Advised African Eagle Resources plc on a placing and open offer to fund its bank feasibility study for its Dutwa nickel project in Tanzania.
- Advised on the listing in London of Wolf Minerals Limited, the developer of a tungsten and tin project in Devon, UK.
- Advised Lubel Coal (Ukraine) on its pre-IPO funding and proposed listing in London.
- Advised Melrose plc on the sale of its Brush Traction UK rail services businesses to NYSE listed Wabtec Corporation.
- Advised Midland Resources Holding on the acquisition of the Jordan Formula 1 Grand Prix team.
- Advised Royal Bank on the merger of Ambion Brick with CINVen's Chelwood Brick.
- Advised Wassall plc on the disposal of the Antler luggage business to Royal Bank.
- Advised Circor International Inc. on the acquisition of Hale Hamilton Holdings Limited.
- Advised Wassall plc on the disposal of Metal Closures Group to Alcoa Manufacturing.
- Advised Servomex plc on its recommended takeover by Fairey Group plc.
- Advised Hutchison Whampoa on the acquisition of the Port of Felixstowe from P&O.
- Advised Entertainment One on the acquisition of a 70% shareholding in WhizzKid Entertainment.
- Advised Entertainment One on the acquisition of 49% of The Mark Gordon Company for US$209 million.
- Advised Shearwater Group plc on its reverse takeover of SecurEnvoy Limited and subsequent acquisitions of GeoLang Holdings, Xcina Consulting and Brookcourt Solutions, all funded by a series of placings.
- Advised Oxford BioDynamics plc, a revenue generating biotechnology company focussed on the development of epigenetic biomarkers, on its admission to AIM with a market capitalisation of £150 million.
- Advised Village Roadshow on the acquisition of Opia Limited, the UK’s leading rewards agency.
- Advised Entertainment One on the acquisition of 70% of Astley Baker Davies, the UK based creator and producer of Peppa Pig, for £140 million funded by a £200 million rights issue underwritten by JPMorgan and Credit Suisse.
- Advised Entertainment One on its premium listing on the London Stock Exchange and FTSE 250 inclusion.
- Advised Entertainment One on its acquisition of Alliance Films Inc for C$225 million to create the largest independent film distributor in the UK and Canada and on the associated debt and equity fundraising of C$325 million led by JP Morgan.
- Advised Marwyn Neptune Fund on the acquisition of the Entertainment One Group (a listed Canadian income fund) and its subsequent full listing in London and various acquisitions.
- Advised Village Roadshow on the development and sale of Village Entertainment Park, the largest cinema/retail park in Greece.
- Advised The Football League on its Internet joint venture with NTL.
The College of Law, Chester
Sheffield University, LLB (Hons)
- England and Wales
Consistently ranked as a key individual by the legal directories:
- Robert Hamill of Mayer Brown International LLP co-heads the firm's global energy group. His main areas of expertise include corporate finance, M&A, and joint ventures. Sources say: "He's a great lawyer to have on your side." (Chambers UK 2019).
- "Solution driven". (Legal 500 2018).
- Practice leader Robert Hamill is "a very smart, trustworthy and efficient lawyer" (Oil & Gas). He is an "excellent lawyer with a calm demeanor" and handles corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. "calm, excellent negotiator" Robert Hamill, .. is "good at supervising teams of lawyers". (Legal 500 2017).
- "Excellent tactician" Robert Hamill "shows great composure under pressure" (Legal 500 2016).
- Listed and recommended in Who's Who Legal: Mining 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- One client enthuses: "It's a pleasure working with Robert" (Chambers UK 2014).
- He is "very good on strategic matters" (Legal 500 2013).
- Clients are delighted with Rob for his negotiation skills, knowledge of the sector and ability to give "commercially minded advice" (Chambers UK 2013).
- "an 'outstanding communicator, calm and unflappable'" Legal 500 2012.
- Recommended as a "sector specialist in global energy" by Legal 500, 2011.
- Clients praise his strategic ability and the manner in which he provides "clear advice in layman's terms" (Chambers UK 2011).
- He was called a "highly regarded" corporate finance partner by Chambers Directory and Legal 500 notes that the "hardworking" Robert "knows his stuff".