Ryan Ferris is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. He focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions where he advises public and private companies and financial sponsors in a variety of transactions, including public company mergers, minority and majority investments and joint ventures. He also regularly counsels clients on governance, securities and other general corporate matters.
In 2023, Ryan was recognized as “Up-and-Coming” by Chambers USA and, prior to becoming partner, was recognized as an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers USA. According to Chambers USA 2021, Ryan is “responsive and very helpful in digging through the minutiae of transactions."
Ryan has represented clients in a wide variety of matters, including:
Public Company Transactions
- One Planet Group in its acquisition of AutoWeb, Inc.
- Cummins Inc. in its acquisition of Meritor, Inc.
- Luther King Capital Management in the sale of its Gexpro and TestEquity portfolio companies to Lawson Products, Inc. in exchange for Lawson common stock
- TriState Capital Holdings, Inc. in its cash and stock sale to Raymond James Financial, Inc.
- Marlin Business Services Corp. in its sale to an affiliate of HPS
- Nestlé Health Science in its acquisition of Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc.
- YUM! Brands, Inc. in its acquisition of The Habit Restaurants, Inc.
- Sparton Corporation in its sale to an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
- The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. in its acquisition of The Navigators Group, Inc.
- Prologis, Inc. in (i) its acquisition of Industrial Property Trust Inc. and (ii) its stock-for-stock merger with DCT Industrial Trust Inc.
- SCANA Corporation in its stock-for-stock merger with Dominion Energy, Inc.
- Kuraray Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of Calgon Carbon Corporation
- Sparton Corporation in its sale to Ultra Electronics Holdings plc (terminated prior to closing)
- Isle of Capri Casinos, Inc. in its cash and stock sale to Eldorado Resorts, Inc.
- TransCanada Corporation in its acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group, Inc.
Private Equity and Venture Capital Transactions
- A middle market private equity firm in various transactions and related matters, including in:
- its sale of a portfolio company which provides claims administration, qualified settlement fund management and probate coordination services
- its rollup acquisition of several companies and brands to form a distributor and retailer (both online and brick & mortar) of medical scrubs and culinary professional clothing and uniforms
- its acquisition of a designer and distributor of products in the outdoor enthusiast and active lifestyle markets
- its acquisition of a sourcer and exporter of products manufactured in China
- its growth equity investment in a video game development company
- Ember Infrastructure and ReEnergy Biomass Operations LLC in their acquisition of Albany Green Energy, a biomass heat-and-power facility located in Albany, Georgia, from Exelon
- Ember Infrastructure in the formation of ReGenerate Energy Holdings, LLC, a joint venture with ReEnergy Biomass Operations LLC
- Brandfolder, Inc. in its sale to Smartsheet Inc.
- New Residential Investment Corp. in its investment in Covius Holdings Inc.
- A family office in its quick service restaurant joint venture with a U.S.-based middle market private equity firm
- Heritage-Crystal Clean, Inc. in its acquisition of Patriot Environmental Services, Inc.
- Registro Italiano Navale (RINA) in its acquisition of Patrick Engineering Inc.
- Insight in its acquisition of Mercy Hospital & Medical Center in Chicago from Trinity Health Corporation
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation in its sale of the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino to an affiliate of Imperial Companies
- Represented a Saudi investment firm in its growth equity investment in a cybersecurity and fraud detection business
- A provider of market data and internet connectivity services to the financial industry in its sale to the portfolio company of a U.S.-based middle market private equity firm
University of Michigan Law School, JD, magna cum laude
University of Michigan, BA