Mark Bonham is a partner in the Salt Lake City office of Mayer Brown and a member of the Emerging Companies & Venture Capital, Capital Markets, and Mergers & Acquisitions practices. Mark is also part of the Life Sciences and Technology industry groups. Mark focuses his practice on providing legal counsel to technology, life sciences, software and internet-based companies and the venture capital funds and strategic investors that finance these companies. Even while living and practicing in Silicon Valley, Mark became well-known in the Salt Lake City region beginning in the 1990s as a result of working with a variety of technology-driven businesses such as Novell, WordPerfect, MyFamily.com (predecessor to Ancestry), Sonic Innovations, and CardioPulmonics. He was involved in venture capital financings, M&A, and public offerings for these and other Utah-based companies. With a depth of knowledge in startups, venture financing, licensing, mergers and acquisitions, business strategy, corporate governance, IPOs, SEC reporting and exit strategy, Mark has deep relationships with tech startups and emerging companies.
Mark lives in Utah and was formerly a partner with two large regional law firms, where he served corporate law clients for over 20 years in California and Utah. He co-managed a group of 16 lawyers, and at various times served on the Compensation and Investment Committees, co-chaired the Recruiting Committee, and co-chaired the Knowledge Management Committee for one of those firms.
Mark has also served as a director of an NYSE-listed software company, where he was chairman of its Nominating and Governance Committee and a member of the Audit Committee, and where he developed an innovative director survey and rating methodology. He and four other executives formed a business consultancy, SageCreek Partners LLC, which advised technology companies in all stages of business from startup to growth and succession.
Brigham Young University, BA, magna cum laude, Economics
Harvard Law School, JD
Awarded Olin Fellowship in Law and Economics
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, President, Washington Everett Mission, 2013–2016
- Ranked by the IFLR1000 as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer for M&A in Utah
- Named by Best Lawyers as Venture Capital Law “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City, 2019 and 2014; Private Funds / Hedge Funds “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City, 2012; Mergers & Acquisitions “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City, 2010; and Corporate “Lawyer of the Year,” Utah, 2009
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law, Venture Capital Law, 2007–2022
- Included in Utah Business Legal Elite, most recently in 2018–2020