Leader of Chicago Office Intellectual Property
Richard M. Assmus
Intellectual Property Counseling & Prosecution, Trademark Litigation, IP & Data Monetization
Innovative companies and businesspeople turn to Richard Assmus for his balanced intellectual property transactional and litigation experience. Richard is closely involved in strategic IP agreements, intellectual property due diligence, technology, content and trademark licensing, brand management, copyright counseling, and advertising counseling. He utilizes his background in science and mathematics in connection with complex patent litigation and technology matters. He has also been active in advising clients in the emerging area of IP and artificial intelligence.
- CNH Industrial in the acquisition of AgDNA, a leader in farm information management systems.
- Adapt Pharma Limited, maker of opioid overdose treatment NARCAN®, in its sale to Emergent BioSolutions, Inc. for total consideration of up to $735 million.
- International gaming company in the renegotiation and extension of a sports gambling platform services agreement in reaction to the Supreme Court’s PASPA decision.
- Nestlé in the sale of its US confection business to Ferrero for $2.8 billion, including the entry of trademark licenses.
- CNH in a strategic alliance in connection with autonomous vehicles.
- Nestlé SA in its $11.85 billion acquisition of the infant nutrition business of Pfizer, including evaluation of a worldwide trademark portfolio and entry into a technology and trademark licenses.
- Nestlé Health Science in connection with intellectual property due diligence in its acquisition of Prometheus Laboratories Inc., a specialist in diagnostics and inlicensed specialty pharmaceuticals for gastroenterology and oncology from a private equity consortium led by American Capital.
- Capital One in connection with licensing its agreement to acquire ING Direct.
- Recognized as one of the "The World's Leading Trademark Professionals" by World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000. He is "a superior IP transactions expert and litigator" and "his background in science and mathematics plays well on mixed hard and soft-IP portfolio mandates."
- The University of Michigan Law School, JD
Managing Article Editor, Journal of Law Reform, 1997-1998
- The University of Chicago, BS, Mathematics
Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Board of Directors of Lawyers for the Creative Arts (2014 to present)
- Member, Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education (CAPE) Board, 2007-present
- Regular Contributor, Mayer Brown’s Tech Talks Podcast
- International Trademark Association