Matt Wells is a Corporate & Securities partner in Mayer Brown’s Salt Lake City and Northern California offices and a member of the firm’s Emerging Companies & Venture Capital and Mergers & Acquisitions practices.
Since starting his legal career in Silicon Valley in 2000, Matt has facilitated the formation, financing, and harvest of hundreds of successful high growth companies. Matt has represented entrepreneurs, growth enterprises, venture capital firms, private equity sponsors and strategic acquirors in completing upwards of 270 preferred stock financings and 130 M&A transactions of all sizes.
As a Utah resident and active participant in the vibrant technology ecosystem of Silicon Slopes, Matt works with growth companies from startup through exit in a variety of industries, including software, technology, fintech, edtech, media, data, biotech, medical device, healthcare, consumer products and services, restaurants and specialty foods. Matt also represents national and international clients making in-bound equity investments and middle market acquisitions of private companies nationwide. He has facilitated cross-border acquisitions involving the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Russia, Israel, India, Cambodia, Canada and Mexico.
Matt has been ranked by Chambers USA since 2010 and is ranked in Band 1 for Corporate/M&A in Utah since 2018.
Brigham Young University, BA, summa cum laude with University Honors
Edwin S. Hinckley Scholar; BYUSA Associate VP for University Relations; Chair, United Club Council
University of Virginia School of Law, JD
Managing Editor, Virginia Law Review; Co-Founder, Rex E. Lee Law Society; President, Virginia Society of Law and Technology; Best Brief Award
- Advisory Board Member, Silicon Slopes/Start Foundation
- Industry Advisory Board, BYU Cougar Capital
- Board of Trustees, Utah Technology Council
- Guest Lecturer, BYU’s J. Reuben Clark Law School (Securities Regulation classes), BYU’s Marriott School of Management (MBA classes), University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business (MBA classes)
- “Next Generation Fellow” of the American Assembly; delegate to the Mountain States Assembly
- “Young Leader” of the American Council on Germany; delegate to the Hamburg conference
- Chambers USA: Band 1 - Corporate/M&A - Utah, 2018-2023 (ranked since 2010)
- The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Venture Capital Law, 2008-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America: Lawyer of the Year, M&A Law – Salt Lake City, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America: Lawyer of the Year, Venture Capital Law – Salt Lake City, 2012, 2018, 2020 and 2023
- Utah Business Magazine, “Forty Under 40”
- Utah Business Magazine, Utah Legal Elite, Corporate Law and Transactions; Mergers and Acquisitions
- Utah Business Magazine, Utah Legal Elite Leading Individuals in Corporate/M&A, Band 1