'Mark Prinsley in particular is able to breathe an air of calm authority which the client found both impressive and reassuring’Legal 500 2022
Mark Prinsley is a partner and heads the technology practice in the London office, and is a member of the firm’s Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice. He concentrates on technology transactions, in particular IT projects and outsourcing.
A substantial element of Mark’s practice involves data protection issues and he has worked extensively for clients in the pensions and financial services sector designing and implementing GDPR compliant systems for the collection and processing of personal data by businesses and related sub-contractors, commercial transactions involving data sharing and reaction to data breach scenarios including managing data breach notifications. Recent projects Mark has worked on involving personal data include working for an automobile manufacturer implementing a connected vehicle programme globally, a supplier of facial recognition technology on methods of marketing that technology in Europe in compliance with data protection laws and for an insurtech business licensing technology and services to enable life insurers to underwrite life cover for diabetics using AI.
University of Oxford, Brasenose College, Law Degree
- England und Wales
- Associate, the Institute of Trade Mark Agents
- Member, the legal advisory board of the Federation Against Software Theft (FAST)
- Member, the legal advisory board of the Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)
Recommended by the legal directories
- Mark Prinsley advises customers and suppliers on outsourcing, cutting-edge software licensing and associated IP, data protection and financial services regulation provisions. He has recently worked on Internet of Things projects and on ensuring fintech products meet regulatory requirements. "His work has been of a high standard." "Mark Prinsley gives useful advice and is also very funny and genial to work with." (Chambers UK 2022).
- 'Mark Prinsley in particular is able to breathe an air of calm authority which the client found both impressive and reassuring’. (Legal 500 2022: Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity).
- Mark Prinsley focuses on customer-side representation and regularly works for large clients in the financial services sector. He advises them at all stages of outsourcing transactions. "He is a very well-known figure in the IT outsourcing world." "Mark provides clear advice and addresses key points of concern." (Outsourcing). Mark Prinsley advises customers and suppliers on outsourcing, cutting-edge software licensing and associated IP, data protection and financial services regulation provisions. He has recently worked on Internet of Things projects and on ensuring fintech products meet regulatory requirements. "A lovely chap and a good lawyer." (Information Technology) (Chambers UK 2021).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual', Mark Prinsley advises customers and suppliers on outsourcings, cutting-edge software licensing and associated IP, data protection and financial services regulation provisions. He has recently worked on Internet of Things projects and on ensuring fintech products meet regulatory requirements. He focuses on customer-side representation and regularly works for large clients in the financial services sector. (Chambers UK 2020).
- Mark Prinsley is recommended for outsourcing and IT procurement agreements of all stripes, and also for his advice on the development and bringing to market of new technology products. He acts for clients in all stages of outsourcing transactions, regularly working on global IT and technology projects. He acts for suppliers and customers, including major clients in the financial services sector. (Chambers UK 2019).
- Headed by IP, IT and outsourcing expert Mark Prinsley, the team at Mayer Brown International LLP handles a range of work that belies its size, from acting for fintech companies on establishing their platforms to assisting a variety of large financial institutions with outsourcing and technological developments. (Legal 500 2018).
- Mark Prinsley heads the firm's London-based IP and IT practice. He is a well regarded practitioner with a fine track record of handling complex outsourcing agreements. He is also spearheading his firm's approach to the emergence of new financial technologies. He assists a range of corporate IT consumers with complex outsourcing transactions, and also advises emerging fintech companies developing and marketing new software products. A client says: "He is a very clear communicator with a personal, engaging and collaborative working style." (Chambers UK 2018);
- IP specialist and group head Mark Prinsley is strong in IT projects and outsourcing; he has "excellent industry experience" and is a "robust but balanced negotiator". (Legal 500 2017);
- Mark Prinsley concentrates primarily on advising customers of sophisticated IT services and counts major corporations and financial service institutions as clients. Sources remark on his "analytical thinking and subject expertise." Clients find him "calm and pragmatic" and value his "wisdom and experience." (Chambers UK 2017);
- Mark Prinsley is noted for his work in IP and IT. He brings considerable expertise to outsourcing clients in these areas and beyond. (Chambers UK 2016);
- Mark Prinsley heads the firm's intellectual property and IT group and offers impressive expertise in a range of IT and human resources outsourcing projects. Clients commend his "great experience and very hands-on approach." He employs a "very practical approach and takes the time to understand the business and what it is we want." He is routinely engaged on significant global outsourcings.(Chambers UK 2015);
- The "excellent" Mark Prinsley is highlighted as a "thoughtful, pragmatic and commercial lawyer who creates a collaborative working environment." (Chambers UK 2014);
- Clients are impressed with his "very pragmatic, sound business advice," as well as his provision of "creative input to shape business deals, rather than merely executing our instructions." (Chambers UK 2013);
- He is a "good and very experienced negotiator" (Legal 500 2013);
- Mark is rated for his intelligent, commercial viewpoint. According to sources, he "turns documents around quickly and meets tough deadlines with ease" (Chambers UK 2011);
- Mark is held up as "the calm voice of reason in heated negotiations." One client described Prinsley as "a calm, measured adviser who is fair and practical" (Chambers UK 2010);
- "First-rate" Mark is a "paragon of calm" and "very client focused" (Legal 500, 2010);
- Is a "first-class" provider of "high quality work" (Legal 500, 2009);
- He has been rated by clients for his "applied, intensely practical legal advice" (Chambers & Partners UK Directory 2009);
Mark has been praised for his skills, with one interviewee enthusing: "I'm delighted to be sitting across the table from him because I respect his judgment and I know the transaction will run smoothly". He "doesn't mess around' and remains especially rated for his outsourcing expertise" (Chambers UK 2007).