Juan Pablo Moreno is a Banking & Finance and Capital Markets associate in the Leveraged Finance, Project Finance and Latin America & Caribbean groups. Juan Pablo represents lenders in various deal roles in the preparation and negotiation of complex financial documents. He also has extensive experience in capital markets, particularly in transactions involving Latin American issuers of securities under Regulation S and Rule 144A. Juan Pablo has a unique background in having been admitted to practice both in the US (Illinois) and Colombia and having practiced as a lawyer in France, Colombia and the US in a variety of financial and capital markets matters. He is recognized as an Expert in Banking & Finance based in the US for Colombian law by Chambers & Partners Global (2014).
Juan Pablo joined Mayer Brown in 2010. Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Juan Pablo worked for Shearman & Sterling LLP, the Inter-American Development Bank and Brigard & Urrutia Abogados in Colombia. He is a member of the Associate Diversity Committee and the Recruiting Committee at Mayer Brown. He is fluent in Spanish and French.
- Represented Bradesco BBI, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, BB Investimentos and Nomura in connection with an initial public offering of Banco Inter S.A.
- Represented Metrovacesa, S.A., one of the largest residential developments in Spain, in connection with its initial public offering. Deutsche Bank AG, London Branch, Morgan Stanley & Co. International plc, BBVA, S.A., Banco Santander, S.A., Goldman Sachs Interantional, Societé Générale, CaixaBank, S.A., Norbolsa S.V. and Fidentiis Equities S.V., S.A. acted as initial purchasers.
- Represented Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated, Bradesco Securities, Inc., BTG Pactual US Capital, LLC, Itau BBA USA Securities, Inc., J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and XP Securities LLC in connection with a circa US$1.5 billion initial public offering by BK Brasil Operação e Assessoria a Restaurantes S.A., the largest franchisee of Burger King in Brazil.
- Represented Sanepar, a Brazilian water sanitation company, in a US$300 million follow-on offering of 18,846,177 units (comprised of common and preferred shares) million from an initial public offering listed. Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated and Itau BBA USA Securities, Inc. acted as international placement agents.
- Represented BTG Pactual US Capital, LLC, Santander Investment Securities Inc., Itau BBA USA Securities Inc., and Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC in connection with a circa US$150 million primary and secondary offering of common stock in the international markets of International Meal Company Alimentação S.A., a Brazilian corporation operating in the food industry. The securities were sold in a private offering in Brazil and pursuant to Rule 144A/Regulation S outside Brazil.
- Represented Multibank Inc. a Panamanian bank in connection with a US$300 million notes offering pursuant to Rule 144A/Regulation S.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation, a Panamanian bank in connection with a US$150 million Rule 144A/Regulation S re-tap of its US$400 million 5.125% notes.
- Represented Banco Davivienda (Costa Rica) S.A. in the creation of, and $150,000,000 first funding under, a Dollar-denominated diversified payment rights program. The issuance included one series of five year notes and one series of seven year notes. BNP Paribas Securities Corp. acted as placement agent.
- Represented Sanepar, a Brazilian water sanitation company, in raising US$496 million from an initial public offering listed on the Brazilian stock exchange and sold offshore pursuant to Rule 144A/Regulation S. The selling shareholders were the Government of the State of Parana, Andrade Gutierrez, Domino Holdings and a fund managed by Caixa Economica Federal. Brazilian banks Bradesco, BTG Pactual, Itau BBA and Banco Votorantim were joint bookrunners on the offering.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation on its cash tender offer to purchase its outstanding covered bond notes due 2017 and the new issuance of $550 million notes due 2021.
- Represented Bank of America in connection with a US$127 million 4(a)(2) private placement of securities of Aeris Holding Costa Rica S.A., the operator of the San Jose Airport.
- Represented Nomura Securities Inc., and Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated in connection with a US$225 million Rule 144A/Regulation S issuance of securities of Puerta del Sol S.A., the concessionary of the Carrasco Airport in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Represented International Finance Corporation in connection with a US$20,000,000 Nuevos Soles-linked and Fixed Rate Linked loan to Banco Financiero del Peru S.A.
- Represented Naturhouse Health, S.A., a leading European weight management company, and its selling shareholder in raising €72 million from an initial public offering listed in the Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia stock exchanges and sold offshore pursuant to Rule 144/A Regulation S.
- Represented AENA, a Spanish airport operator, and the largest airport operator in the world, in raising US$4.5 billion from an initial public offering listedin the Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia stock exchanges and sold offshore pursuant to Rule 144A/Regulation S.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation, a Panamanian bank in connection with a Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of its US$400 million 5.125% notes.
- Represented Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Itau BBA USA Securities, Inc., and Mizuho Securities USA Inc. in connection with a Rule 144A/Regulation S offering by Samarco Mineração S.A., a Brazilian corporation, of US$500 million 5.375% notes due 2024.
- Represented Costa Rican based Banco BAC San José, S.A. in the creation of, and US$210 million first funding under, a Dollar-denominated diversified payment rights program. The issuance included a 4(2) private placement of one series five-year notes and series of seven-year notes. Wells Fargo Securities acted as placement agents for this transaction.
- Represented Citigroup Global Markets Inc. and Bank of America Merrill Lynch in connection with a US$450 million Rule 144A/Regulation S bond offering of airline ticket receivables of the Chile-based LATAM Airlines Group S.A., Latin America’s largest airline and one of the largest airlines in the world in terms of passengers and cargo transported. The transaction marked the first securitization of airline ticket receivables in Latin America since 2002.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation, a Panamanian bank in connection with a US$100 million Rule 144A/Regulation S tap offering of under its US$500 million residential mortgage covered bond program guaranteed by a pool of assets transferred to a guaranty trust.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation, a Panamanian bank in a Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of US$200 million Series 2012-1 covered bonds under a $500 million residential mortgage covered bond program guaranteed by a pool of assets transferred to a guaranty trust. It was the first covered bond transaction in Latin America and was named "LatinFinance Structured Financing Deal of the Year—2012" by LatinFinance magazine.
- Represented Banco de Crédito del Perú (BCP) in a US$465 million Rule 144A/Regultaion S offering of Diversified Payment Rights.
- Represented Ecopetrol Colombia’s state-owned oil company in connection with its registration with the US Securities and Exchange Commission for the listing of its American Depositary Shares (ADS) represented by American Depository Receipts (ADRs) on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
- Represented Credit Suisse AG, Cayman Islands Branch as Arranger, Administrative Agent and Collateral Agent in connection with a US$72 million credit facility to the KFC Group in Ecuador. The proceeds of the financing were used to acquire the ownership interest of various franchise entities of Kentucky Fried Chicken Inc. located in Chile and Argentina.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation in connection with a US$40 million credit facility from China Development Bank. The proceeds of the financing were used for working capital purposes.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation in connection with a U$163 million syndicated loan facility arranged by Citigroup Global Markets Inc., JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., and Mizuho Bank, Ltda.
- Represented Citibank, N.A.,in providing financing for a portion of the purchase price for the US$603 million acquisition by Organizacion Terpel S.A., a Colombian oil and gas company, of assets of ExxonMobil in Colombia.
- Represented the joint lead arrangers in connection with an approximate US$1.5 billion acquisition by a Mexican entity of a majority stake in the world largest irrigation company located in Israel.
- Represented The Bank of Nova Scotia, The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., BNP Paribas Securities Corp., Citigroup Global Markets Inc. and HSBC Securities (USA) Inc. in connection with the amendment and extension of the US$1.5 billion credit facility of Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde S.A.A. The borrower is a subsidiary of Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc.
- Represented Deutsche Bank as lender and lead arranger in connection with a US$196 million credit facility to HA Wildcat LLC and Strong Upwind Residual Holdings LLC (subsidiaries of the Hannon Armstrong Group), the proceeds of which were used to acquire membership interests in certain entities that hold tax equity investments in utility scale wind power projects throughout the United States.
- Represented Deutsche Bank as lender and lead arranger in connection with a US$101.6 million credit facility to Hannon Armstrong Capital, the proceeds of which were used to acquire Grandis Holding LLC, a Delaware limited liability company with investments in utility scale wind power projects in the United States.
- Represented Scotiabank Panama, as administrative agent, in connection with an approximately US$600 million financing to Gas Natural Atlantico, S. de R.L. and Costa Norte LNG Terminal S. de R.L., the proceeds of which were used for the construction and development of an LNG (liquefied natural gas) power block and LNG terminal to be located in the province of Colon, Panama.
- Represented Invenergy Thermal Global LLC and Invernergy Clean Power LLC in connection with a US$200,000,000 Letter of Credit and Guarantee facility with General Electric Company.
- Represented Invenergy Wind Operating LLC in connection with a US$125 million credit agreement from Natixis, New York Branch as Administrative Agent and Collateral Agent and Cooperative Rabobank UA, New York as Joint Mandated Lead Arranger and Joint Structuring Agent.
- Represented the arrangers, lenders and administrative agent in connection with a $223 million loan to finance the acquisition by Promerica Financial Corporation of Citibank’s Guatemalan banking operations and secured by assets in Ecuador, Honduras, Panama, Guatemala and the Dominican Republic.
- Represented Credit Suisse New York Branch in connection with a US$100 million merchant voucher credit card securitization of Banco del Pacifico, S.A.
- Represented Banco General S.A. in connection with a US$250 million Diversified Payment Rights securitization.
- Represented Credit Suisse and JPMorgan in connection with a syndicated credit facility for a packaging manufacturer, with facilities in North and South America, of approximately US$190 million, denominated in US dollars, Colombian pesos and Mexican pesos.
- Represented Grupo Odinsa S.A., a Colombian infrastructure company, on a multifaceted transaction that resulted in the acquisition of an equity interest in Corporacion Quiport S.A., the concessionaire and operator of the Mariscal Sucre Airport in Quito, Ecuador. The transaction involved the simultaneous negotiation of a share purchase agreement with several selling entities, an approximately $194 million secured credit facility from Banco Itaú, a US$50 million unsecured credit facility from Banco Santander, and a master consent and waiver agreement with several senior lenders in Quiport, including the Inter-American Development Bank and the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
- Represented International Finance Corporation in connection with a US$20 million Nuevos Soles-linked and Fixed Rate Linked loan to Banco Financiero del Peru S.A.
- Represented the Inter-American Development Bank in a US$197 million club facility with OPEC Fund for International Development to finance the construction, development and operation of a soybean crushing plant in Villeta Paraguay of Complejo Agro-Industrial Angostura S.A.
- Represented Citibank and Bancolombia in connection with a US$200 million financing for Vetra Exploración y Producción Colombia S.A.S., a Colombian oil and gas exploration company.
- Represented Citibank and JPMorgan as arrangers in connection with a US$79 million and Col$106.4 billion secured syndicated credit facility for Multidimensionales S.A., Pladescol S.A., Phoenix Packaging Mexico, S.A. de C.V., Phonexi Packaging LLC and Phoenix Packaging Operations, LLC.
- Represented Global Bank Corporation, a Panamanian bank in connection with a US$104 million senior unsecured credit facility.
- Represented The Bank of Nova Scotia (as Lender) in a US$50 million floating rate loan agreement with Xignux S.A. de C.V. and certain of its subsidiaries.
- Represented Banco General S.A. (Panamá) as originator of US$100 million Series 2012-A Notes due 2019.
- Represented Portigon AG (formerly known as WestLB AG, New York Branch) in its capacity as Working Capital Facility Administrative Agent in connection with a US$306 million Second Amended and Restated Working Capital Facility Credit Agreement, among Constructora de Proyectos Hidroeléctricos, S.A. de C.V. (La Yesca) (as Borrower) and certain lenders party thereto.
- Represented Credit Suisse International (as Administrative Agent and outgoing Lender) in connection with a US$45 million Payoff and Disbursement Agreement executed with the Continental Towers Group (a central American telecommunications conglomerate) and the IFC, and the release of certain collateral held by Credit Suisse International in various Central American jurisdictions.
- Represented Credit Suisse in the restructuring and refinancing of a US$80 million loan agreement entered into by Credit Suisse and Estrella, a Canadian company with subsidiaries in Latin America. Responsible for assisting a senior associate in the drafting of amendments and waivers and reviewing the documents prepared by local counsel.
- Represented Credit Suisse Cayman Islands Branch in the repayment by Termotasajero S.A. E.S.P. (Borrower) of a credit facility in an amount of US$38 million. The repayment involved the release by Credit Suisse of collateral held in Colombia and the Cayman Islands.
University of Illinois College of Law, JD, cum laude
Georgetown University Law Center, LLM, Dean's List, Distinction
Lund University, LLM in European Business Law
University de los Andes Law School, Master in Commercial Law, 2005
Master in Financial Law, 2004
JD Equivalent, 2002
- New York
- Republic of Colombia