George Miller, a partner in the New York office, is a member of Mayer Brown’s Global Projects and Infrastructure and Asset Finance practices. In addition, he co-leads Mayer Brown’s Japan Client Initiative, aimed at strengthening and expanding outreach to Japanese clients. At a prior firm he helped open its Tokyo and Hong Kong offices and headed its Asia project finance practice for seven years.
He concentrates his practice in international and domestic finance and leasing, in particular in the infrastructure, transportation and energy sectors. He has worked on numerous “Deals of the Year” and other high-profile transactions in the projects and infrastructure space. George is highly ranked by Legal500 for Transport: Rail and Road Finance. He was also recognized as a 2021 "Lawyer of the Year" for Project Finance Law in The Best Lawyers in America.
In recent years he has represented Morgan Stanley as underwriter in the issuance of $2.7 billion principal amount of tax-exempt private activity bonds for the benefit of the Brightline Florida passenger rail project, lenders and underwriters in financings of long-term concessions over 50 service plazas on the New York State Thruway and Interstates 95 and 395 and the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkways in Connecticut, the Port Authority of Jamaica in the $600 million concession and lease of the Kingston Container Terminal to an affiliate of CMA CGM (which was named 2016 North America Port Deal of the Year by IJGlobal). In 2010, he led our Denver FasTracks Eagle P3 engagement, the 34-year concession to build and operate a portion of a commuter rail line in Denver, Colorado, in which we acted as designated financing parties’ counsel. This project was named 2010 North American Transport Deal of the Year by Project Finance Magazine and a Regional Deal of the Year by The Bond Buyer. At his prior firm he also represented the senior bank lenders in the financing of the $1.6 billion concession over Interstate 595 in Broward County, Florida (the first availability payment P3 project in the United States), which was named 2009 North American Transport Deal of the Year by Project Finance Magazine and a 2020 Gold award recipient by P3 Bulletin for best operational transport project.
His other project and infrastructure finance work has involved airports and ports in Chile, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica; toll roads and railroads in Brazil, Chile, China, Kenya and Mexico; power, transmission, pipeline and telecommunications projects in Argentina, Chile, China, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States; and resort developments in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Dubai, Indonesia and the United States. In addition, George represents US and non-US parties in domestic and cross-border lease and loan financings of aircraft, rolling stock, containers, vessels and other equipment and facilities, including structured financings in the capital markets.
- Representation of Credit Suisse, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Securities and others as underwriters of over $2 billion of railcar lease-backed securities to finance the acquisition of railcars from Trinity Industries, Inc., a railcar manufacturer and lessor, and other lessors managed by Trinity.
- Representation of several creditors in and following Chapter 11 proceedings filed by Avianca, LATAM and Aeromexico airlines, Waypoint Leasing and CHC Helicopter.
- Represented Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC as underwriter in the issuance of $2.7 billion principal amount of tax-exempt private activity bonds for the benefit of the Brightline Florida passenger rail project.
- Representation of First State Investments in its acquisition of Patriot Rail and Ports from SteelRiver Infrastructure Partners and the related financing.
- Representation of ING Capital and Keybanc Capital Markets in the $138 million financing of the acquisition from John Laing Infrastructure Fund by a consortium consisting of Applegreen, IST3 Investment Foundation and Greystone Asset Management of a long-term concession over 23 service plazas on Interstates 95 and 395 and the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkways in Connecticut. Mr. Miller had previously represented ING Capital in two previous refinancings of the concession.
- Representation of Industrial Bank of Korea, ICBC and Agricultural Bank of China in a $120 million financing of the acquisition by a consortium led by InfraPartners Management LLP (IPM) Korea of a minority interest in an LNG terminal in Chile, the first investment by a South Korean financial institution in a South American infrastructure asset.
- Representation of Cap Cana, S.A., a Dominican luxury resort developer, in its successful exchange of two series of senior secured notes for a single series of notes issued by a newly created Cayman special-purpose vehicle and secured by a number of undeveloped properties transferred to the new issuer by Cap Cana, coupled with a consensual foreclosure on the collateral securing the existing notes pursuant to which Cap Cana reacquired control of such collateral.
- Representation of a lender in connection with the refinancing of a private bulk cargo port terminal in Florida.
- Representation of the Port Authority of Jamaica in the $600 million concession and lease of the Kingston Container Terminal to an affiliate of CMA CGM, which was named 2016 North America Port Deal of the Year by IJGlobal.
- Representation of Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, as representative of the several underwriters, in a $150 million offering of pass through certificates by Union Pacific Railroad Company. The proceeds were used to purchase equipment trust certificates issued to finance the acquisition of 59 locomotives by the railroad.
- Representation of Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC and Citigroup Global Markets Inc., as initial purchasers, in a $500 million offering under Rule 144A and Regulation S of pass-through certificates by BNSF Railway Company. The proceeds were used to purchase equipment notes issued to finance or refinance the acquisition of 318 locomotives by the railroad.
- Representation of Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC and Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC, as representatives of the several underwriters, in a $400 million offering of pass through certificates by Union Pacific Railroad Company. The proceeds were used to purchase equipment trust certificates issued to finance the acquisition of 182 locomotives by the railroad.
- Representation of a large US-based investment manager in a predelivery payment financing of Boeing aircraft being acquired by a Dublin, Ireland-based commercial aircraft lessor.
- Representation of a US-based savings bank in predelivery payment financings of Boeing aircraft for four European airlines.
- Representation of Export Development Canada and Aviation Finance Company in predelivery payment financings for Bombardier and Gulfstream aircraft.
- Representation of a major financial institution, as administrative agent on behalf of four overlapping lending syndicates, in connection with the out-of-court restructuring of a series of project finance loans for four advanced proton cancer therapy centers across the US.
- Representation of Macquarie Funds Management in the acquisition of a minority interest in Eagle Creek Renewable Energy LLC, a US hydroelectric generation company, from clean energy investment firm Hudson Clean Energy Partners LP.
- Designated lenders’ counsel for one of the short-listed consortia that bid, and counsel for one of the lenders to the winning bidder, on the first $1.4 billion 40-year toll road concession offered under Puerto Rico’s PPP program. The project includes unique provisions related to the construction and operation and maintenance of express bus lanes/managed lanes within the median of the project. The project was named “2011 Highway PPP Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International.
- Designated financing parties’ counsel in the $1.6 billion Denver FasTracks Eagle P3 Project, Denver, Colorado. Named Project Finance Magazine’s 2010 North American Transport Deal of the Year and a 2010 Regional Deal of the Year by The Bond Buyer.
- Representation of the Dominican Republic in connection with the settlement of arbitrations with affiliates of TCW regarding their investment in electric distributor EDE Este.
- Representation of senior lenders to the $1.6 billion I-595 Corridor Roadway Improvements Project, Broward County, Florida. Named Project Finance Magazine’s 2009 North American Transport Deal of the Year and P3 Bulletin’s 2020 Gold award recipient for best operational transport project.
- Representation of Industrias Nacionales C. por A. of the Dominican Republic in connection with a $65 million export receivables financing led by HSH Nordbank.
- Representation of lenders in the proposed $300 million financing of an automotive supply project in Indiana.
- Representation of Banco Inbursa, S.A. in a $200 million loan to Net Serviços de Comunicação, S.A.
- Representation of a Latin American company in a proposed financing of sugar beet ethanol plants in Colombia.
- Representation of OHL Brasil S.A. in a bid for a thirty-year concession to improve, operate and maintain the western section of the São Paulo ring road, Brazil.
- Representation of Merrill Lynch in a $125 million loan to an affiliate of Usinas Itamarati S.A. of Brazil.
- Representation of Transchile Charrúa Transmisión S.A. in a $51 million financing of a 205 kilometer high-tension transmission line in Chile by Inter-American Development Bank and Santander Central Hispano S.A.
- Representation of Empresa Eléctrica Guacolda S.A. in a $260 million financing of an expansion of its existing coal-fired steam turbine generating station in Chile.
- Representation of Northwest Airlines in a $450 million registered offering of enhanced equipment trust certificates to finance the acquisition of 27 Embraer regional jets.
- Representation of UBS in a $250 million bridge loan to JBS S.A. of Brazil in connection with its acquisition of Swift Foods Company.
- Representation of Merrill Lynch & Co., as dealer, in connection with offering by Hidroeléctrica Piedra del Aguila S.A., a producer of hydroelectric power based in Argentina, of $100 million of 9% Notes due 2017.
- Representation of Perry Capital Corp. in a $400 million secured loan to an affiliate of Cheniere Energy, Inc.
- Representation of ABN AMRO, Calyon and Citigroup in connection with a $1.2 billion bridge loan to Braskem S.A. of Brazil to finance its acquisition of petrochemical assets.
- Representation of Sociedad Concessionaria Autopistas los Libertadores in connection with an offering of the equivalent of $45 million of bonds to finance a 120km toll road in Santiago, Chile, which bonds were insured by XL Capital Assurance Inc., and an affiliate in another $32 million-equivalent bond issue for a toll road in Chile, which was insured by Financial Security Assurance Inc.
- Representation of prospective financing parties in a bid for the Port of Miami Tunnel concession in Florida.
- Representation of Operadora Hotelera del Corredor Mayakoba, S.A. de C.V. in the $91 million refinancing of the Fairmont Mayakoba Hotel in the Riviera Maya in Mexico by Aareal Bank AG.
- Representation of MBJ Airports, Ltd. in the $85 million financing by IFC of a long-term concession to make improvements to and operate Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
- Representation of Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI in the $125 million financing of a long-term concession to build, refurbish and operate six airports in the Dominican Republic by IFC and Export Development Canada
Harvard Law School, JD
Harvard Kennedy School , MPA
Yale University, BA, magna cum laude
- New York
- District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Editorial Board, Committee on Publications
- American Bar Association, Project Finance and Development and Aircraft Finance Subcommittees and Forum on Air & Space Law, Commercial Finance Committee, Business Law Section
- Rail Working Group, Luxembourg Rail Protocol to the Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment
- Law360, Member of the Project Finance editorial advisory board