Market sources commend head of department José Paulo Marzagão as "one of the best real estate practitioners in the country," and "an extraordinary lawyer who is always extremely well prepared." They go on to describe him as "an excellent professional who has valuable experience in banking law and vast knowledge of real estate issues," adding: "He really makes the difference in real estate finance transactions."Chambers Latin America
José Paulo Marzagão is a partner in the São Paulo office of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. He is a member of the Real Estate practice. José has more than 15 years of professional experience in real estate advising domestic and international companies and investment funds in the implementation of real estate deals. He actively participates in the structuring and development of large-sized real estate ventures including commercial, industrial, logistics condominiums, shopping centers, mixed use, residential, hotels, entertainment and others. His experience includes assistance in the legal structuring of real estate transactions, including formation of joint ventures for the development of real estate ventures. José also has strong experience in the implementation of both equity and debt investment and divestment transactions in capital and financial markets, using real estate investment funds and securitization alternatives, especially the issuance of certificates of real estate receivables. He is one of the pioneers in the structuring and consolidation of the legal grounds for built-to-suit and sale-leaseback transactions. In addition, he also works with purchases and sales, leasing, real estate developments and structuring of guarantees backed by real estate assets or real estate receivables.
- Advised Tishman Speyer, a US real estate company, in selling an office building leased to Itaú Unibanco in São Paulo’s financial district to a real estate investment fund owned by Brookfield Property.
- Advised property management company LPP, a subsidiary of the Singapore-based Global Logistic Properties (GLP), in buying 34 warehousing and logistical assets worth US$1.3 billion from BR Properties.
- Advised Global Logistic Properties Limited in obtaining R$ 874 million necessary for the part of the acquisition of the logistics warehouses from BR Properties S.A. through a securitization transaction involving LPP III, Itaú Unibanco and Barigui Securitizadora..
- Assisted WTorre and BTG Pactual on the due diligence of BR Properties real estate for their association with BR Properties in a deal worth approximately R$ 5 billion.
- Assisted Tishman Speyer in structuring a real estate investment fund. Issued shares of app. R$ 1 billion, in order to acquire Tower Bridge Corporate building located in São Paulo.
- Assisted Global Logistic Properties on structuring a R$750 million partnership aiming to develop a class A, 350,000 sqm logistics park in the city of Duque de Caxias (state of Rio de Janeiro)..
- Assisted Tishman Speyer in the R$ 540 million.lease, together with VIA Engenharia, of the condominium “Green Towers Brasília” to Banco do Brasil. Green Towers Brasília is a class AAA real estate development located in Brasília, composed of 3 office towers of which one is operating and 2 are still under construction. The first tower of Green Towers Brasília is the first class AAA building in the capital of Brasil which has been filed to receive a LEED Certification.
- Assisted Global Logistics Properties in obtaining R$ 82 million, part of the funding necessary to build logistics warehouses in Guarulhos and in Ribeirão Preto, via a CCB’s real estate backed securities with Itaú BBA..
- Assisted Iguatemi Empresa de Shopping Center S.A. on the R$ 16,1 million. sale of two areas located in the cities of São José do Rio Preto and Votorantim to a Special Purpose Company owned by Hyatt Hotels.
- Assisted M3 Capital Partners, as manager of Evergreen Fundo de Investimento em Participações, in the structuring and acquisition of a R$ 9 million convertible debenture issued by REC SS Leopoldina Empreendimentos S.A. to fund part of its acquisition of Guarda Tudo, a self storage company that operates in the city of Sao Paulo. Evergreen FIP is also a shareholder of REC SS Leopoldina, and the debenture is guaranteed by a pledge of the receivables arising from the self storage activities.
- Assisted Procter & Gamble in the acquisition of new properties, contract negotiation, legal and environmental licensing, property regularization and assistance to Procter & Gamble on all the measures regarding the expansion of an industrial plant (matter value is confidential).
- Assisted Tishman Speyer in the structuring of the sale of Torre Jatobá, located in the Castello Branco Office Park, a commercial real estate in the city of Barueri, State of Sao Paulo, developed by a company pertaining to the Tishman Speyer Properties group and by Brickell Tower Empreendimento Imobiliário Ltda. to two real estate investment funds managed by Credit Suisse Hedging-Griffo, one of them held by the lesser of Torre Jatobá (R$ 257 million). Later on, provided legal advice to Tishman Speyer Properties and Brickell Tower in the R$ 124 million public offering of the quotas held by them in one of the above mentioned real estate investment funds..
- Assisted General Electric in structuring the R$520 million transaction and the relevant agreements prior to the securitization of real estate receivables by Synergy Group .
- Assisted WTorre S.A.,one of Brazil's leaders in the development and construction of industrial warehouse and logistics facilities and commercial real estate, in a R$2.3 billion joint venture agreement with Goodman Group.
- Assisted Autonomy Investimentos in the R$ 900 million refinancing of securities and financing for the sale of Towers A and B of the Rochaverá Corporate Towers.
- Assisted Sandria in the negotiation of a R$ 853 millionbuilt-to-suit lease for Banco do Brasil/Mapfre and in the financial structuring for the acquisition of the real estate with the issuance of real estate backed securities.
- Assisted Hemisfério Sul Investimentos int he R$ 840 million joint venture with Saphyr for the development of several shopping centers in Brazil.
- Assisted Prosperitas in the R$ 1,5 billion acquisition of almost the totality of the Bracor real estate portfolio..
- Assisted Autonomy in the financing of a real estate portfolio, including issuance of real estate backed securities in an amount of approximately R$ 450 million.
- Assisted Prosperitas in the sale of the Eco Berrini tower in a transaction involving an amount of R$ 560 million.
- Assisted Prosperitas in the acquisition of the Brahma factory owned by Ambev in Rio de Janeiro for the development of a commercial tower involving an amount of approximately R$ 300 million.
- Development of the Rochaverá Corporate Towers, including the financing structure for its development (commercial development with 120,000 sq mts of rentable area) and negotiation of its lease to third parties.
- Negotiated built-to-suit leases to clients such as Volkswagen, Unilever, Vivo, Roche, Vale, Petrobras and others. Development and lease of distribution and logistic centers.
- Assisted Prosperitas in developing and implementing several distribution centers, office buildings and malls.
- Assisted General Mills on the lease and management of all Häagen-Das shops in Brazil.
- Acquisition by a real estate investment fund of all C&A stores owned by Redevco and re-negotiation of all existing lease agreements.
- Assisted Casino Guichard Perrachon in the re-structuring of 60 real estate sites owned by Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição and re-negotiation of all 60 lease agreements to the Pão de Açúcar and Extra stores in said properties.
- Assisted Tishman Speyer in the negotiation of the lease of Torre Norte of Centro Empresarial Nações Unidas.
- Constitution of real estate investment fund “Torre Norte”, raising R$ 64, million , which represents 16.17% of undivided shares of “Torre Norte do Centro Empresarial Nações Unidas de São Paulo” building.
- Issuance of shares of the real estate investment fund “Torre Norte”, raising R$ 316 million to acquire the remaining undivided shares of “Torre Norte”.
- Constitution of the real estate investment fund “Comercial Progressivo II”, with the issuance of shares and the structuring of several real estate deals, including the acquisition of properties by Redevco rented to C&A.
- Structured the transaction that constituted the real estate investment fund “Península”, by the sale and purchase of 60 stores from “Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição”. Issued certificates of real estate receivables (CRIs), raising more than R$ 1 billion.
- Constitution of the real estate investment fund “HG Real Estate”. Acquisition of shares issued by “Shopping Via Parque” fund and “Shopping Parque Dom Pedro” fund by the real estate investment fund “HG Brasil Shopping”.
- Issued new shares by the Real Estate Investment Fund “HG Brasil Shopping”.
- Issued of new shares by the Real Estate Investment Fund “HG Real Estate”.
- Constitution of “Kinea I” Real Estate Equity – FIP.
- Assisted Banco Fator, as the coordinator of the issuance of certificates of real estate receivables (CRIs) from Brazilian Securities, related to sale and purchase agreements of real estate units.
- Assisted Prosperitas in the issue of several certificates of real estate receivables (CRIs) from “Altere Securitizadora” and “Aetatis Securitizadora”, related to the sale and purchase agreements of real estate units, “sale and lease back” agreements and “built-to-suit” agreements, raising more than R$ 500 million.
- Assisted WTorre in issuing several issuances of certificates of real estate receivables related to properties from “Grupo WTorre”, raising more than R$ 600 million.
Universidade de São Paulo, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), Specialist in Philosophy of Law
- "Practice head José Paulo Marzagão, who wins praise from one client for his “agility, expertise and knowledge." Latin Lawyer 250 2018 - Real Estate
- Market sources commend head of department José Paulo Marzagão as "one of the best real estate practitioners in the country," and "an extraordinary lawyer who is always extremely well prepared." They go on to describe him as "an excellent professional who has valuable experience in banking law and vast knowledge of real estate issues," adding: "He really makes the difference in real estate finance transactions." Chambers Latin America 2018
- "practice head José Paulo Marzagão is a well-known figure in the Brazilian real estate market." The Legal 500
- "He has strong capabilities in representing both international and domestic clientele in the full range of real estate matters, with additional expertise in real estate finance" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Real Estate - Brazil
- "'a leading lawyer who is very knowledgeable and skilful in negotiations' with 'vast experience in real estate matters'" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Real Estate - Brazil
- "‘one of the best real estate lawyers in Brazil’, he is highlighted for his ‘critical business sense and no-nonsense approach’" The Legal 500 2016 - Real Estate - Brazil
- "The highly esteemed José Paulo Marzagão of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown is a popular choice for clients." Chambers Latin America 2016 - Real Estate - Brazil