Legal 500 2019 / 2018
'The very experienced Alex Dell is a leading lawyer in the industry'.
'Has a fantastic reputation in the market.'
Alex Dell is head of the Banking & Finance group of the London office, as well as co-chair of the firm’s asset based lending (ABL) practice.
He is focused on multi-jurisdictional receivables financing programs and ABL transactions. Alex advises on a range of true sale issues as well as borrowing base techniques, both from a lender and borrower perspective. He also has an in-depth knowledge of off balance sheet considerations, payables finance, fintech platforms, bill discounting and floorplanning. Alex represents banks, credit funds, sponsors and corporates including some of the world’s largest financial institutions and companies. He is widely-recognized as a leading ABL and receivables financing lawyer in the UK.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2015, Alex led the Structured Trade & Receivables Finance team with another leading international law firm.
- Acted for Stemcor on a $960 million refinance of the group’s debt facilities.
- Acted for a UK bank, as agent in a $75 million senior secured asset-based revolving credit facility (with an accordian of up to $25 million) with Bristow Helicopters Limited and Bristow Norway AS as the original borrowers and original guarantors and Bristow Group Inc. as the parent and an original guarantor.
- Advised STIGA/Global Garden Products (GGP), one of Europe's largest makers and sellers of powered garden equipment for residential and commercial use, has secured an €80m invoice discounting facility from a leading global financial institution headquartered in the UK and ABN AMRO.
- Acted for TPG in relation to USD 80 million ABL facilities for Revlon group of companies in USA, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, France and Spain.
- Represented Hayfin Services LLP, as agent, in a syndicated asset-based lending facility with NKD Services GmbH, a leading German retailer.
- Acted for Macquarie Bank International, as lead financier, in connection with a EUR 200 million Bills of Exchange discounting programme entered into with Apple Distribution International.
- Acted for a leading German financial institution on a EUR 250,000,000 off-balance sheet cross-border receivables purchase facility pursuant to which the German bank purchases receivables originated by members of the British American Tobacco group located in Belgium, Luxembourg, South Korea and Australia. This agreement was novel for the German bank because it involved purchasing foreign law receivables pursuant to an English law receivables purchase agreement.
University of Leicester, LLB (Hons) Law
- England und Wales
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' (Legal 500 2020 Acquisition finance). 'The very experienced Alex Dell is a leading lawyer in the industry'; is described as 'fantastic' for Asset based lending and 'very experienced' for Bank lending.
- "Has a fantastic reputation in the market." (Legal 500 2018).
- Dominic Griffiths and Alex Dell are the principal partners responsible for handling cross-border asset based lending matters and regularly utilise this product on its own or in conjunction with other debt products to provide general corporate lending assistance or for acquisition finance purposes. (Legal 500 2018 Securitisation).
- "commercial and pragmatic" (Legal 500 2017).
- "Pragmatic" team head Alex Dell displays "sound commercial judgement" and has successfully leveraged his strong relationships with UK banks to ensure a significant flow of
- domestic and pan-European financings. "pragmatic and commercial" (Legal 500 2016).
- Alex is named as "Leading Individual" with the gift of "clarity of communication, making legal issues clear and offering understandable advice". (Legal 500 2014).
- Alex is recognised by the Asset Based Finance Association in the UK and the Commercial Finance Association in the US as being a leading lawyer in the UK market.