Manuel Velez serves clients on patent infringement litigations and PTAB proceedings regarding pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and medical devices. His experience runs the full gamut, from conducting pre-case assessments to managing litigations for innovator companies in high-stakes cases in federal courts. Manuel has been a member of trial teams that obtained favorable trial decisions and settlements for branded pharmaceutical clients in Hatch-Waxman and BPCIA litigations. He performs due diligence in connection with M&A transactions, including providing freedom-to-operate opinions.
Manuel previously served as a law clerk to Judge Gustavo A. Gelpí, US District Court for the District of Puerto Rico (now Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit).
Clients served by Manuel include Gilead Sciences, Inc., Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Sanofi, and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Gilead in performing due diligence in connection with collaboration agreement with Lyndra Therapeutics to develop ultra-long-acting HIV therapeutics.
- Gilead in performing due diligence in connection with collaboration agreement with Nurix Therapeutics to create new cancer medicines that break down disease-causing proteins.
- IMS in performing due diligence in connection with six separate acquisitions. Work included analyzing the intellectual property portfolio and contracts relating to intellectual property assets.
- Gilead in Hatch-Waxman litigation involving Lexiscan®, a stress agent given in preparation for a radiologic (x-ray) examination of blood flow through the heart to test for coronary artery disease.
- Alexion in a patent infringement suit involving Ultomiris®, an improved C5 inhibiting biologic with a pH-dependent recycling effect.
- Sanofi-aventis in patent infringement suit involving Elitek®, a popular treatment for certain side effects of anti-cancer therapy. Successfully moved for summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Gilead in Hatch-Waxman litigations over breakthrough HIV treatments, Truvada® and Complera®.
- Cephalon in Hatch-Waxman litigation over Trisenox®, an important advance in the treatment of patients suffering from acute promyelogenous leukemia.
- Sanofi-Aventis and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in patent infringement suit over Praluent®, a popular treatment for reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the blood.
- Zest Anchors in patent and trademark infringement suit, involving the Locator® system, the gold standard for dental attachment systems.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb in responding to third-party subpoenas served in connection with patent infringement action.
- Sanofi-aventis in Hatch-Waxman litigation over Uroxatral®, a popular urological treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Part of trial team that obtained favorable ruling on infringement and validity from the bench on the last day of trial.
- GlaxoSmithKline in patent infringement and antitrust litigation involving Paxil®, a breakthrough antidepressant treatment.
- Drafted and negotiated a copyright assignment agreement on behalf of RedUP, a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing awareness to the issues facing people in the sex Industry.
- Ecuadorian national in obtaining political asylum on the basis of her gender identity.
- Ukrainian national in obtaining Temporary Protected Status.
- Ecuadorian children abandoned by their fathers to obtain Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- Same-sex couple in district court action alleging that West Virginia county employees violated the U.S. Constitution by treating same-sex couples differently from others in the name of religion.
- Violence Intervention Program ("VIP") in obtaining trademark to the phrase "Yo Tengo Derecho" ("I Have the Right"). VIP is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping Latin women live free of domestic violence.
- Russian national in obtaining political asylum on the basis of his sexual orientation, green card, and citizenship.
- Assisted transgender woman to file petition for name change and sex designation.
Boston University School of Law, 法務博士
Recipient of Faculty Academic Progress Award, Equal Justice America Fellowship
Merit-Based Tuition Scholarship; Article Editor of Public Interest Law Journal
University of Florida, MS
Florida Georgia Alliance Graduate Fellowship
University of Florida, PhD
National Science Foundation Pre-Doctoral Fellowship
Cornell University, BA
- US District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
US District Court for the District of Puerto Rico, 2006, 2007
- New York State Bar Association.
- Manuel was shortlisted as a US Rising Star in Intellectual Property by the LMG Life Sciences Awards.