"Jennifer Tam, a younger partner, but with incisive qualities."The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
Jennifer Tam is a partner in the Employment & Benefits practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. Jennifer advises on all areas of employment law with an emphasis on contentious employment, discrimination, harassment and data privacy disputes. Jennifer has solid experience in handling high profile and complex employment litigation at various court levels from the Labour Tribunal to the Court of Final Appeal, handling investigations by and complaints to the Labour Department, Equal Opportunities Commission and the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data of Hong Kong, advising on internal corporate investigations, disciplinary issues and termination of employment and dealing with trade unions and labour relations issues. On the non-contentious side, Jennifer advises on all HR issues including structuring the labour force, introduction of changes to terms of employment and enforcement of post termination restrictions. Jennifer serves on various committees of the Hong Kong Institute of Human Resources Management and provides trainings on HR issues. Jennifer is an advocate for workplace well-being and serves as a board member of The City Mental Health Alliance Hong Kong. Jennifer speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Acted for a number of airlines based in Hong Kong and UK in resisting claims brought by the pilots and cabin crew for leave payment.
- Acted for a large Hong Kong-based airline in resisting various claims brought by the cabin crew for travel benefits, retirement benefits and bonus.
- Acted for a large financial institution as in resisting a claim brought by its Deputy CEO for breach of contract.
- Acted for an insurance company in resisting a claim brought by an agent for employment benefits.
- Acted for a leading brokers in the financial industry in defence of a claim for unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment and victimization.
- Acted for a private club and a number of secondary and tertiary institutions in defence of claims for unlawful disability discrimination.
- Advised a multinational electronic manufacturer on a claim for unlawful termination by a former senior employee.
- Advised a major bank in dealing with privacy complaints and data privacy appeal made to the Administrative Appeals Board.
- Advised a number of corporate clients, banks, airlines, secondary and tertiary institutions in dealing with investigations by the Labour Department, Equal Opportunities Commission and the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data, Hong Kong.
- Advised clients on managing sick and pregnant employees, protection of confidential information and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Advised clients on cost-saving measures including wage reduction, leave arrangement, restructure of labour force, retrenchment and government wages subsidy.
The University of Hong Kong, LLM
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- Hong Kong
- Up and Coming - Employment: Hong Kong-based (International Firms), China – Chambers Greater China Region (2023)
- Next Generation Partner - Labour and Employment, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2023)
- Next Generation Lawyer - Employment, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017-2019)
- Expert - Labour and Employment, Hong Kong – Expert Guides: Women in Business Law (2021)
- LMG Rising Star – Expert Guides (2015)
- "Jennifer Tam, a younger partner, but with incisive qualities." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)