Michael P. Lennon Jr.
Litigation & Dispute Resolution, International Arbitration, Construction & Engineering
Michael P. Lennon Jr. is a partner in Mayer Brown's Litigation & Dispute Resolution and International Arbitration practices. He is an experienced arbitration and trial lawyer with an outstanding track record for handling a wide variety of arbitration and litigation matters, particularly in the energy, natural resources and construction sectors. Mike also has substantial experience handling patent, trademark, copyright and other commercial disputes.
Mike acts on behalf of clients before the leading international arbitral institutions, including ICSID, ICC, ICDR, LCIA and the Dubai International Arbitration Centre, as well as national courts. He has tried numerous cases before arbitral tribunals, courts, and juries, as well as enforcement, annulment and appellate proceedings arising from his matters. He also acts as an arbitrator and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Mike's energy and natural resources experience covers a wide range of arbitrated and litigated matters, including disputes involving production sharing agreements, licenses, concessions and other host state agreements, oil and gas royalty disputes, pricing and other disputes under short and long-term commodity agreements, disputes arising out of joint operating and joint venture agreements, disputes concerning the design, operation and management of drilling rigs, disputes involving nuclear and conventional power plant design, construction and operation, and other arbitration and litigation matters arising out of commercial disputes in the energy and natural resources sectors.
Representative Energy and Natural Resource Matters
- Representing LUKOIL Pan Americas, LLC in the bribery, corruption and antitrust action filed by the PDVSA US Litigation Trust in the Southern District of Florida and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representing an Asian state-owned oil and gas company in a $1.6 billion UNCITRAL ad hoc arbitration arising from termination of a coal bed methane productions sharing contract.
- Represented lenders in bankruptcy proceeding of two E&P companies.
- Representing an E&P company in an LCIA arbitration arising from a Service Agreement for the supply of drilling personnel.
- Representing large international oilfield services company.
- Advising a crude trading company in disputes with buyer and seller in back-to-back crude oil trades.
- Advised gas gathering and compression facilities operator in relation to threatened diversion of gas supplies.
- Advised crude trader on force majeure claims arising from Brazilian truck driver strike.
- Advised IOC in relation to counter-party defaults concerning Brazilian oil and gas project.
- Advised a Brazilian bio-ethanol company in a dispute arising from technology transfer and equipment supply contracts with Southern European supplier.
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with high distinction
Member, Iowa Law Review, Symposium Editor, Transnational Law & Contemporary Problems
- University of Iowa, BS, with honors
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Senior Vice Chair, Institute for Energy Law (2020-2022)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the advisory board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Member of the executive committee and advisory board of the Institute for Energy Law (IEL) of The Center for American and International Law
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Co-chair of IEL’s 2015 and 2016 Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference
- International Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association