Leader of Paris Office Litigation & Dispute Resolution
International Arbitration, Africa, Litigation & Dispute Resolution
"'An excellent strategist' and 'key player' who shows 'striking knowledge of investment matters and a particular command of ICSID proceedings’.” Legal 500 Paris
"Extremely well thought of" Who’s Who Legal 2016
A "Rising Star of the Business Bar" Décideurs Juridiques 2016
Admitted to the Paris Bar, Dany Khayat is the head of the Litigation and International Arbitration practice in Paris and the co-leader of the Middle-East dispute practice with the Firm.
He has been involved in numerous arbitration proceedings conducted under the Rules of the ICC, ICSID (including Additional Facility), UNCITRAL, SIAC, LCIA, DIAC, CRCICA, BCDR-AAA, LMAA, GAFTA, RSA, AFA, CMAP as well as in ad hoc arbitration proceedings.
Pending or recent experience in investor/State disputes include the following representations:
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited & others v. European Union, ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/23/1 - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Additional Facility Rules.
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited, Klesch Refining Denmark A/S and Kalundborg Refinery A/S v. Kingdom of Denmark, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/48 - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Convention.
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited and Raffinerie Heide GmbH v. Federal Republic of Germany, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/49 - Klesch Group - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Convention.
- A French investor in an ICSID Arbitration against the Republic of Croatia in a dispute arising from Croatia’s adoption of legislation in the banking industry (ICISD Case No. ARB/19/33).
- The Republic of India in an UNCITRAL/PCA investment treaty arbitration brought by a state owned Korean company arising out of that company’s investment in a power plant in Maharashtra State in India.
Continually recommended by the legal directories as a Leading Individual :
- The premier Pan-African weekly news magazine, Jeune Afrique, ranked Dany Khayat in the 8th position in the top 100 most influential business lawyers in francophone Africa in 2019, and distinguished him as one of the two “Leading Lawyers” in the Litigation sub-category.
- Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, DEA in international law, with honors
- Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, Maîtrise in business law
- Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, Institut des hautes études internationales; Diploma
- Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris, Diploma, international section
- Member of the Advisory Committee of The Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration.
- Expert in UbiFrance’s Cercle Proche et Moyen Orient.
- International Arbitration Institute (Young Practitioner).
- Association Suisse d’Arbitrage (ASA) ‘below 40’.
- The London Court of Arbitration’s Young International Arbitration Group.
- A member of the ICC’s Arab Arbitration Group, of the LCIA Arab User’s Council, and the International Bar Association, Dany Khayat has written extensively on international arbitration and investor/State disputes for the past 15 years, participated as speaker in more than 20 conferences around the world and taught courses on international arbitration and investor/State disputes at various French universities.