Leader of London Office International Trade
International Trade, Sanctions & Export Controls, Global Investigations & White Collar Defense
”A great lawyer with great expertise. Very knowledgeable on global regulations, breaks it down into digestible executable actions.”
”Jason Hungerford is calm and a leader in the field in relation to sanctions.”
US- and UK-qualified, Jason Hungerford has nearly 20 years’ experience advising financial institutions and corporates on economic sanctions and export controls.
Jason leads our London-based international trade team, which advises on US, UK and EU financial sanctions and export controls in the context of investigations, complex transactions, and compliance programme development and testing.
Representative experience (handled prior to joining Mayer Brown)
- Investigation into alleged corrupt practices in the Brazilian operations of a European company. Conducted remediation measures, including dismissal of third parties and employees, as well as engagement with key customers.
- Investigation into Scandinavian telecommunications operator with respect to implications under local anti-corruption law, as well as exposure to FCPA jurisdiction. Investigations covered multiple Eurasian jurisdictions
- Corruption-related investigation for a major international bank in response to inquiries by the US Securities and Exchange Commission with respect to operations in Venezuela.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a major European aerospace and defence company into the company's sales practices in the United Kingdom. Represented the company in a voluntary self-disclosure to HM Revenue & Customs and liaison with the Export Control Join Unit.
- A key lawyer for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime and Financial Services – Legal 500
- “A great lawyer with great expertise. Very knowledgeable on global regulations, breaks it down into digestible executable actions.” - Legal 500
- A key lawyer for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime – Legal 500
- “The team, which has developed a niche specialism in dual-use and military export controls, is led in London by the ‘knowledgeable and thoughtful’ Jason Hungerford.” – Legal 500
- “Jason Hungerford has in-depth and diverse knowledge about corporate investigations, including as it relates to sanctions, export controls, and anticorruption.” – Legal 500