"...vastly experienced. Highlighted was his 'ability to explain legalese to business people in a straightforward and modest way' and his 'constant and reliable input and advice to boards and committees.'"Chambers USA
Robert F. “Bob” Gray, Jr. is a partner in the firm’s Corporate & Securities practice in the Houston office.
He has advised boards of directors, as well as audit and special committees, of public companies in many industries. Bob has represented a variety of public and private companies, underwriters, and equity investors/venture funds in private placements, public offerings and mergers and acquisitions. His extensive industry experience is a significant advantage for clients operating in the energy and technology arenas.
According to Chambers USA 2020 Bob is a “highly effective corporate attorney.”
Mergers and Acquisition/Joint Venture
- Advised Intermarine, L.L.C. in connection with its joint venture with Zeamarine GmbH.
- Advised RigNet Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Intelie Solucoes Em Informatica S.A.
- Advised AFGlobal in connection with its acquisition of Fluke Subsea Solucoes e Servicos Ltda.
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation of America in connection with several OCTG pipe company acquisitions in the U.S. and U.K., and in connection with a pipe mill joint venture.
- Advised Solvay U.S.A. in connection with a 50-50 joint venture with Enirgi Chemicals (a division of the Enirgi Group).
- Advised Heritage Oil in connection with the attempted acquisition of Total’s working interest in GOM assets.
- Advised UBS AG in connection with acquisition of 50% of Northern Star Generation.
- Advised spin-off of Shell Oil in purchase of a UK cable manufacturer.
- Advised Kentz Corp. Ltd. in connection with Valerus Field Solutions.
- Advised Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores in connection with the acquisition of 28 truck stops from Pilot Travel Center LLC.
- Advised Special Committee of the Board of TEPPCO Partners, L.P. in connection with sale to Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Advised Petroleos Delta in connection with the acquisition of Royal Dutch Shell Plc’s service station assets in Panama and Costa Rica.
- Advised Precision Drilling Trust in connection with acquisition of Grey Wolf Inc.
- Advised Kappa Energy Holdings Ltd. In connection with sale to Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp.
- Advised Sterling Energy PLC in connection with acquisition of Whittier Energy Corporation.
- Advised Precision Drilling Corporation in connection with disposition of Precision Energy Services and Precision International Drilling Divisions to Weatherford International Ltd.
- Advised Centurion Energy International in connection with attempted acquisition of Merlon Petroleum Inc.
- Advised AltaGas Canada Inc. in connection with U.S. Rule 144A placement of 16,500,000 Common Shares.
- Advised ION Geophysical Corporation in connection with its exchange of 8.125% Senior Secured Second Priority Notes due 2018 for 9.125% Senior Secured Priority Notes due 2021 and common stock.
- Advised underwriters in connection with $800,000,000 Senior Notes of Rowan Companies, Inc.
- Advised ATP Oil & Gas Corporation in connection with PIPE offering.
- Advised underwriters in connection with 5,000,000 Common Units of Exterran Partners, L.P.
- Advised underwriters in connection with $500,000,000 7.875% Senior Notes due 2019 of Rowan Companies, Inc.
- Advised Precision Drilling Trust in connection with $172,000,000 cross-border public offering of 46,000,000 trust units.
- Advised dealer managers in connection with 144A offering of 1,650,000 shares of 5.375% Series B Cumulative Convertible Preferred Stock of Goodrich Petroleum Corporation at $50.00 per share.
- Advised underwriters in connection with secondary offering of 3,400,000 common shares of Goodrich Petroleum Corporation at $15.50 per share.
New York University, LLM
University of San Diego School of Law, JD
University of Michigan, MBA
University of Michigan, BBA
- American Bar Association
- Chairman, Business Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, 1995 to 1996
- Board of Directors, Junior Achievement of Houston/Gulf Coast, 1996 to 2001
- Texas State Liaison, ABA Committee on Corporate Laws, 1990 to 1998
- Advisory Board of Directors, Houston Technology Center, 2000 to 2015; Chairman, 2001 to 2005
- Fellow, Texas Business Law Foundation
- Executive Board of Directors, BioHouston, 2003 to 2015
- Board of Managers, Cougar Investment Fund, 2001 to 2019
- Executive Committee and Board Member, Bauer College Board, 2018 to date