'James Ford is a rapidly rising star, superb analyst and networker.’Legal 500 2022
James Ford is a senior associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of the London office. He is a member of the Firm’s White Collar Defence & Compliance practice which represents corporations, boards of directors, board committees, executives and public officials in criminal, civil and regulatory enforcement proceedings around the world.
James focuses on regulatory compliance, transactional advice and investigations in the areas of economic sanctions, export controls, anti-corruption and money laundering. He has advised corporates across a range of sectors, including energy, mining and extractives, finance, defence, and transport. He has also advised a range of financial institutions, insurers and brokers.
James advises clients on: designing and implementing compliance programmes; compliance programme reviews; designing and delivering training; conducting investigations; drafting and submitting disclosures; liaising with regulators and supporting licence applications; and transaction due diligence.
His experience includes in-house experience in four different sectors. He has been seconded to: the group legal team of a European-headquartered mining company; the group export controls team of a major defence company during the term of a Consent Agreement with the US State Department; the disputes team of a major international bank; and the bribery and corruption team of a global oil and gas company.
James established and leads the Transparency International Professional Supporters (TIPS) Network, a volunteer initiative of professionals, academics and students aimed at supporting Transparency International’s advocacy and outreach efforts.
He joined Mayer Brown in 2019.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown:
- Providing on-going support and advice to the group export controls team of a major defence company.
- Advising on the sanctions compliance review of a European multinational’s operations in Iran following US withdrawal from the JCPOA.
- Advising on the sanctions and AML risks presented by a retrospective review of an European financial institution’s Iranian person client portfolio.
- Designing and implementing a sanctions compliance programme and delivering associated training for various clients, including a multinational food and beverage company and a European-headquartered mining company.
- Assisting a European industrial manufacturer with an ABC compliance review of its offices in selected jurisdictions and a related internal investigation.
Yale University, BA (Political Science)
- Listed as a key lawyer for EU and Competition, James Ford is noted for his knowledge of regulatory compliance and financial services sanctions programs - Legal 500 2023.
- Listed as a key lawyer for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime. 'James Ford is a rapidly rising star, superb analyst and networker.’ - Legal 500 2022.
- Listed as a key lawyer and contact for EU and Competition - Legal 500 2020.