‘Kate Ball-Dodd is an outstanding ECM lawyer. She provides clear technical advice with extremely helpful commercial insight.’Legal 500 2022
Kate Ball-Dodd is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice of the London office. She has a wide-ranging practice that encompasses corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions (including public takeovers), equity fund raisings, joint ventures, and corporate governance. She advises a number of quoted companies and financial intermediaries on the Listing Rules and Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules, the Prospectus Rules, the AIM Rules, the Takeover Code and general company law. Kate speaks regularly at external conferences on corporate governance and takeovers and has also spent time on secondment to EMI Music.
- Advised Prudential Staff Pension Scheme on a complex longevity swap transaction with Pacific Life Re Limited covering £3.7 billion of pension liabilities relating to over 20,000 pensioners to provide long-term protection for the Prudential Scheme against costs that could result from increases in the life expectancy of its pensioner members.
- Advised Entertainment One Limited on its rights issue to fund the acquisition of the majority of Astley Baker Davies Limited and its placing to part fund the acquisition of Alliance Films.
- Advised Numis Securities as nomad to Powerflute Oyj in connection with its readmission to AIM following its reverse takeover of Covenso.
- Advised Citigroup Alternative Investments LLC in connection with the IPO of Deutsche Annington on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Advised Helical Bar plc on its retail bond issue.
- Advised St Modwen Properties plc on its cash box placing, its retail bond issue and its placing and open offer.
- Advised Canaccord Genuity Limited as nomad and broker to Eland Oil & Gas PLC on its initial admission to AIM.
- Advised Numis Securities as bookrunner and underwriter to a placing by Retroscreen Virology Group plc on its initial admission to AIM, to a placing by Modern Water plc and a firm placing and open offer by JJB Sports plc.
- Advised Matrix Corporate Capital LLP and Numis Securities as joint bookrunner and Numis Securities as underwriter to a firm placing and placing and open offer by Accsys Technologies plc.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised global asset manager Brookfield Asset Management, Inc. and affiliated entities, on a high profile acquisition by one of its global real estate opportunity funds of Center Parcs from global investment firm Blackstone.
- Advised Entertainment One in its £140 million acquisition of a 70 percent stake in Astley Baker Davies Limited, the UK based creator and producer of Peppa Pig.
- Advised Wells Fargo & Company on its agreement to purchase GE Capital’s Commercial Distribution Finance and Vendor Finance platforms, as well as a portion of its Corporate Finance business.
- Advised MWB Business Exchange plc on its takeover by Regus plc.
- Advised Numis Securities on its acquisition of rights to a series of small cap indices, now known as the Numis Small Companies Index.
- Advised Genel Energy on its $4.2 billion merger with Vallares plc to create a leading upstream oil and gas company operating in Kurdistan.
- Advised Klesch on its acquisition of the Heide refinery, Germany, from Shell.
- Advised Scott Wilson Group plc on its recommended competitive takeover by URS Corporation.
- Advised Cadbury, De La Rue, Fujitsu, Royal Mail and Thales on the sale of Camelot, the UK national lottery operator.
- Advised the Cosmen family in relation to its abortive proposed takeover of National Express Group plc.
- Advised Northern Racing plc on its takeover by NR Acquisitions Limited, a vehicle indirectly owned by the Reuben Brothers.
- Advised Talarius plc on its takeover by European Gaming Limited, a joint venture vehicle owed by Macquarie Bank and Tattersall's.
- Advised Cambridge Antibody Group plc on its takeover by AstraZeneca.
- Advised Persimmon plc on its takeovers of Westbury plc and Beazer Group plc.
Nottingham Trent University, LLB (Hons)
The College of Law, Guildford, LPC (with distinction)
Consistently recommended and ranked as a leading individual by the legal directories:
- Listed as a 'Leading individual for M&A and a 'Leading individual' and another name to note for Equity Capital Markets. ‘Kate Ball-Dodd is an outstanding ECM lawyer. She provides clear technical advice with extremely helpful commercial insight.’ (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Equity Capital Markets. ‘– faultless attention to detail. Innovative in materials produced.‘ ‘– easy to work with, commercial and gives practical advice.‘ (Legal 500 2021).
- Also recommended is Kate Ball-Dodd, who has 'an amazing grip on the technical aspects of law and their practical application'. 'Kate Ball-Dodd is commercial, thorough, thoughtful and an absolutely lovely person; there's no ego there.' (Legal 500 2020 Equity capital markets).
- 'Kate Ball-Dodd is an outstanding lawyer who combines huge technical knowledge and experience with pragmatism and a proper understanding of the real world'. 'Kate Ball-Dodd is a very strong lawyer, with excellent technical abilities combined with a straightforward commercial approach that makes transactions flow' (Legal 500 2020 M&A).
- "This is one of my go to law firms. In particular, we use Kate Ball-Dodd a lot. She is commercial, technically able and generally a lovely person. She is able to give a different perspective and is knowledgeable on market practice." (IFLR 1000 2019 - Capital markets : Equity).
- Highly regarded (IFLR 1000 2019 - Capital markets : Equity and M&A).
- "A very trustworthy lawyer with rich experience in US capital markets." (IFLR 1000 2017).
- Flotations: Led by Kate Ball-Dodd, clients are "always happy to use it on a deal", with its "highly responsive and user-friendly team" handling a balanced mix of mandates from issuers, NOMADs and brokers. (Legal 500 2017).
- A 2017 Acritas Star Lawyer: "Kate is very focused on achieving an outcome for the company. I’ve worked with Kate in a previous job. She’s very loyal and she’s very hard working, very sharp and is very much focused on achieving the outcome."
- Ranked as a leading individual and also listed as the "'quick, tenacious' Kate Ball-Dodd" (Legal 500 2016).
- Kate is "superb" (Legal 500 2013).
- Sources indicate that she "represents everything an in-house lawyer would ever want from an external counsel; she is timely, commercial and cost effective." (Chambers UK 2012).
- She is "undoubtedly a rising star, who can diplomatically navigate difficult negotiations" (Legal 500 2012).
- She has a "solid grasp on the minutiae" and continues to attract praise from clients (Legal 500 2011).
- She is "extremely good at managing clients" (Legal 500 2010).