Raymond Yang is a partner in the Hong Kong office of Mayer Brown.
Raymond focuses his practice in the areas of international dispute resolution, representing both Chinese and international clients in commercial and investment arbitration (institutional and ad hoc), court litigation (including all levels of the Hong Kong courts and PRC courts) as well as regulatory investigation and compliance matters.
Raymond advises clients on a wide spectrum of contentious matters, including corporate and shareholders' disputes, banking & finance, bankruptcy and insolvency, international trade and investment, energy, resources and infrastructure, construction and real estate, and intellectual property.
Unusually for a dispute resolution lawyer that deals with Greater China matters, Raymond is triple qualified in the PRC, Hong Kong and England and Wales. He has in-depth experience of handling complex and cross-border disputes.
He is one of the very few Mandarin-speaking PRC lawyers conversant with both Chinese law, Hong Kong law and English law owing to his overseas legal education, training and practice. On full scholarships, he participated in the Lord Chancellor's Training Scheme for Young Chinese lawyers in London, and the Australia-China Legal Profession Development Program in Sydney respectively. During these periods, he not only studied Australian, English and EU law, but also worked in leading international law firms and barrister's chambers. He also received a Master of Common Law degree from the University of Hong Kong.
On account of his PRC law practice, Raymond has been recognized from among his 500,000 PRC peers as one of the 1,000 Elite Lawyers specialising in foreign-related legal matters.
Raymond speaks Mandarin, English and Cantonese.
- Acted for a group of BVI companies in a CIETAC arbitration concerning a Sino-foreign cooperative expressway project, and also advised the clients in the following court proceedings for enforcement of the arbitral award rendered by the tribunal.
- Acted for a Japanese listed company in a CIETAC arbitration in a claim against a Chinese company in relation to international contract for sale of equipments and services.
- Advised a Macanese company in CIETAC arbitration proceedings as well as insolvency proceedings in the PRC courts involving Sino-foreign joint venture disputes.
- Acted for a Chinese company in CIETAC arbitration proceedings and advised the client on the recognition and enforcement of the arbitral award in Europe.
- Acted for a Chinese company in an ad hoc arbitration in Hong Kong concerning joint venture disputes with a US listed company. The arbitration is conducted under UNCITRAL Rules.
- Acted for a Chinese company in an HKIAC administered arbitration concerning disputes over technology license agreement.
- Advised a Chinese company against an Indian supplier in LMAA arbitration proceedings concerning disputes arising from international contract for sale of iron ores.
The University of Hong Kong, Master of Common Law
Melbourne Law School, Diploma
SOAS, University of London, Diploma
Hebei University of Economics and Business, LLB
Inscription au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Arbitrator, Shanghai International Arbitration Center
- Arbitrator, Guangzhou Arbitration Commission
- Arbitrator, Langfang Arbitration Commission
- Fellow/Council Member, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators (FHKIArb)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- LCIA Young International Arbitrators Group
- ICCA Young Professionals Forum
- Top 10 Outstanding Young Lawyers - China Legal Education and Career Seminar Series (CLECSS) (2021)