“competent, clear, pragmatic" (client)JUVE Handbook 2015/16
Christian Horstkotte is a partner in the Düsseldorf office of Mayer Brown and heads the Antitrust practice in Germany. He is co-leader of the firm’s European Antitrust practice.
Christian counsels clients on all aspects of German and European antitrust law, focusing on complex merger control proceedings and cartel investigations as well as court proceedings before German and European competition authorities and courts, including follow-on litigation. He also regularly advises clients in dominance matters and in the implementation of compliance programmes. His industry focus includes in particular the automotive, chemical, energy, financial services, FMCG, construction and logistics industries.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Christian was a partner and head of the German Antitrust practice in another renowned international law firm in Düsseldorf.
Christian regularly lectures and has articles published. He is co-author of Frankfurter Kommentar zum Kartellrecht and several other antitrust publications.
Regularly advising on high-profile EU, German and multijurisdictional merger control proceedings including appeal proceedings at the respective courts.
Advised Aurubis in a complex phase 2 EU merger control investigation in relation to the acquisition of Metallo Group.*
Advised Avedon on the acquisition of a shareholding in FormMed HealthCare AG.
Advised Dow on its investment in the LNG Terminal company Hanseatic Energy Hub.
Advised Lange-HANSA-Holding and ULM Management on the sale of HANSA-HEEMANN to Refresco.
- Advised LKQ in the EU merger proceeding and the subsequent national referral proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Stahlgruber.*
- Advised Senator International on the sale to Maersk.
- Advised in a number of complex cartel investigations of the European Commission and the German Bundeskartellamt including appeal proceedings at the respective courts.
- Successfully defended Carlsberg in a German appeal court proceeding before the Higher Regional Court Dusseldorf in the beer cartel, having the court completely annul a EUR 62 million fine.*
- Advised a German car parts manufacturer in a cartel investigation of the German Bundeskartellamt as well as follow-on litigation.
* at previous law firm
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Wiesbaden
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), in Wiesbaden, Frankfurt, Speyer and Brussels
Commerzbank AG, Legal Consultant
First State Law Examination, Georg-August-University Göttingen, Germany
Studies at Berlin, Bologna and Göttingen Universities
Inscription au Barreau
- Düsseldorf, Germany
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers (“Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht”)
- German Israeli Lawyers Association
- “Deutscher Juristentag”
- American Bar Association
- Board of trustees of the Institute for Competition Law at the University of Düsseldorf
- "Leading Lawyer" for Antitrust – JUVE Handbuch 2022/2023
- "often recommended" for Antitrust – JUVE Handbook 2022/2023
- Ranked for Competition/European Law in Germany – Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2022
- Leading advisor in antitrust – JUVE Handbook 2022/2023
- "excellent in complex merger control" (client) – JUVE Handbook 2022/2023
- "Leading individual in antitrust Germany" – Legal 500 Europe 2022
- Recognized by The Best LawyersTM in Germany 2022 for Competition/Antitrust Law
- Listed among most renowned lawyers for antitrust in Germany – WirtschaftsWoche 2022
- Thought Leader in Competition – Who's Who Legal Global and Germany 2022
- Recommended – Who’s Who Legal Global and Germany 2022
- "He is one of the key players in the market" – Who's Who Legal Global Competition 2022
- “Recommended ” – Global Competition Review Global Elite 2022
- Acritas Star – Acritas Sharplegal 2021