"Wins glowing praise for his business focus, dynamism and remarkable ability to work in a multidisciplinary way"Latin Lawyer 250, ed. 2019
Celso Grisi is a partner in the tax practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in Association with Mayer Brown at the São Paulo office. Celso has 20 years of experience in practicing tax litigation and providing tax advice (including tax planning) and has advised major domestic and international corporations throughout these years. His experience includes drafting memorandums and legal opinions involving the analysis of tax merits; study and development of topics for discussing tax levying, as well as structuring foreign investments and M&A transactions across the country. Also, Celso has been a key element in providing tax solutions to the worldwide well known real estate, restructuring and capital markets teams of Mayer Brown Brazil.
Regarding Brazilian indirect taxation, Celso has secured a number of special tax regimes and tax rulings for a variety of industries, including the chemical and automotive sectors within the states of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Santa Catarina. Celso also served, for eight years, as a judge of the State of São Paulo Tribunal of Administrative Taxes, a specialized court on indirect tax litigation.
Celso holds a bachelor’s degree in law from the Catholic University of São Paulo – PUC/SP, a master’s degree from the University of São Paulo Law School – USP and an LLM in International Taxation from The University of Law School – Ann Arbor. After graduating summa cum laude at The University of Michigan Law School, Celso worked for two years at Pricewaterhousecoopers in New York, particularly advising hedge funds on structuring their Latin America investments and divestments.
He has taught Corporate Taxation at Mackenzie University Law School and has published a number of articles in specialized law journals in Brazil. He is a member of the Consulting Board of the Brazilian Association of Financial Law – ABDF, related to the International Fiscal Association – IFA, a member of the Brazilian Institute of Tax Law – IBDT, a member of the Transactional Taxation Network – TTN, related to the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation – IBFD. Celso was a member of the Scientific Board for Support of Research at the Revista de Direito Tributário Internacional – RDTI from 2006 to 2013.
Celso wins glowing praise for his business focus, dynamism and remarkable ability to work in a multidisciplinary way. His business oriented perspectives allowed him to serve as a member of the Supervisory Board of Clealco Açúcar e Álcool S.A. (2008/2010) and Dedini S/A Indústrias de Base (2012/2013). Some of the largest clients Celso has being advising are: HSBC Brazil; Bank Mizuho Brasil S.A., Mitsui & Co Ltd., Tereos Sugar & Energy, The Dow Chemical Company, GIC, Clarion Partners LLP, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Wabco Vehicle Control Systems, Rhodia, GTIS, among others.
University of São Paulo (USP), LLM, International Trade Law
University of Michigan Law School, LLM, International Tax Law
Instituto Brasileiro de Direito Tributário (IBDT), Specialist in Tax Law
Fundação Instituto de Administração – USP, Specialist in Financing and Accounting
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo – PUC/SP, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent), Law Degree
Hague Academy of International Law, Course on International Trade
Université de Californie, Berkeley, Orientation in the US Legal System
Inscription au Barreau
- Judge and Vice-President of the 8th Chamber at the State of São Paulo Tribunal of Administrative Taxes, a specialized tribunal on indirect tax litigation.
- Member, Consulting Board of the Brazilian Association of Financial Law (“ABDF”), related to the International Fiscal Association (“IFA”).
- Member, Scientific Board for Support of Research at the Revista de Direito Tributário Internacional (“RDTI”).
- Member of the Brazilian Institute of Tax Law (“IBDT”).
- Member, Transactional Taxation Network (“TTN”), related to the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (“IBFD”).
- Member, Tax Committee of the International Bar Association (“IBA”).
- Member, Supervisory Board of Dedini S/A Indústrias (2012/2013).
- Member, Supervisory Board of Clealco Açúcar e Álcool S.A. (2008/2010).
- Recognized in Tax: Counsel. – Leaders League, ed. 2020
- "Wins glowing praise for his business focus, dynamism and remarkable ability to work in a multidisciplinary way”. - Latin Lawyer 250, ed. 2019
- Recommended in Tax. – The Legal 500, ed. 2019
- Highly Regarded - Tax Controversy Leader. - ITR - World Tax, ed. 2018, 2019 e 2020