Member of Partnership Board, Leader of Construction & Engineering, Leader of Litigation & Dispute Resolution in Asia
Geoffrey Y. M. Chan
Construction & Engineering, Projects & Infrastructure, China
Businesses and professionals in the construction and infrastructure industry turn to Geoffrey Chan for advice on all aspects of contentious construction work, including legal proceedings, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution in Hong Kong, China and Macau. He provides guidance on town-planning and building law in addition to construction contract claims, construction negligence claims and claims involving environmental issues. He also advises clients on labour importation issues by the Legco Select Committee.
- A major blue chip developer who is the majority owner of an industrial building in Hong Kong, on building and construction issues arising from a fire which took place in the industrial building, where two firemen died.
- A leading charitable organisation in an independent panel of inquiry arising from the collapse of a heritage building and on technical and other issues arising therefrom, potential enforcement proceedings and prosecution by the relevant authority, and potential proceedings to be commenced in due course against party/parties in default.
- A public body employer on the causes of the collapse of the roof structure of one of its buildings on campus and on related issues such as technical expert input required, insurance issues, potential risks of enforcement and/or prosecution proceedings by the relevant authority, safety issues, public relations aspects, and potential proceedings against the culpable party/parties who have caused or contributed to the collapse.
- Numerous PRC employers on the drafting and negotiation of PRC construction contracts in China.
- An NYSE listed electronics company on the construction of successive Phases of their hi-tech factory premises in the PRC.
- The Arbitration Powerlist: Hong Kong – The Legal 500
- Recommended - Construction – Who’s Who Legal: Construction
- Recommended - Construction – Who’s Who Legal: Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR
- Recommended Lawyer - International Arbitration, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- "Geoff Chan, partner, is a very impressive, personable individual with years of experience in the field of construction and engineering disputes." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Queen Mary, University of London, LLB
Inscription au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
Engagement professionnel et communautaire
- Panel of Arbitrators of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of Arbitrators of China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow and Council Member, Institute of Quarrying Hong Kong Branch Council
- Member, Asia Society, Hong Kong Centre
- Member, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong