“‘[Hank] has a memory like no one I’ve met before; he retains a tremendous amount of information and can recall it immediately.’”Chambers USA 2017 (as quoted by a client)
Henninger "Hank" Bullock serves as head of Mayer Brown's Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice in New York. He is an experienced litigator who counsels clients in the financial-services and life-sciences sectors. Hank has handled hundreds of complex disputes in state and federal courts throughout the United States at both the trial and appellate levels. He also has significant experience in large multidistrict litigations, serving as liaison counsel for defense groups. These experiences have resulted in him being recognized by many prestigious publications, including Chambers USA, Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation's 2017 and 2016 "Under 40 Hot List," LMG Life Sciences' "Life Sciences Star" list (2013-2018) and Law360's 2014 "Product Liability MVP" list.
Hank provides defense against all types of claims for life-sciences clients, including product-liability, antitrust, licensing and supply disputes. In the product-liability sphere, he has served as lead national counsel for brand-name pharmaceutical companies, devising strategy and coordinating the defense of thousands of lawsuits across multiple jurisdictions. Hank also has extensive appellate experience in this area, having successfully handled cases before United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits, the Missouri Supreme Court and the Missouri Court of Appeals, the Iowa Supreme Court and the Iowa Court of Appeals, the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Florida First District Courts of Appeal. Many of Hank's recent successes resulted in Law360 naming Mayer Brown a “Consumer Protection Group of the Year” in both 2018 and 2017 and a "Life Sciences Group of the Year" in 2017.
Financial-services clients, including major commercial and investment banks, hedge funds, broker-dealers and commodity-trading firms, rely on Hank to defend them in lawsuits, government regulatory proceedings and internal investigations involving securities, commodities, derivatives and foreign exchange products. His representation encompasses customary disputes over regulated financial products, as well as highly sophisticated and unregulated structured finance-and-derivative transactions. Hank has been particularly successful in defending financial institutions and their officers and directors in cases involving allegations of anticompetitive conduct as well as fraud or misrepresentation associated with the trading of complex financial instruments. Hank’s recent work for financial institutions has led to Law360 recognizing Mayer Brown as a “Banking Group of the Year” in 2018 and 2017.
In addition, Hank represents clients from various business sectors in complex contract and tort matters.
Select Life Sciences Matters
- Representing one of the world’s largest generic pharmaceutical manufacturers in connection with claims alleging that its settlement of prior patent litigation involved a “reverse payment” in violation of the antitrust laws.
- Successfully argued appeals on the issue of "innovator liability" - whether brand name pharmaceutical manufacturers may be liable to patients who used only competing generic versions of the product - before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth and Eighth Circuits, the Iowa Supreme Court, and the Iowa Court of Appeals and the Georgia Court of Appeals. Participated in the briefing of numerous other appeals on the issue in cases before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits, as well as Florida's First District Court of Appeal. In 2015, Financial Times listed Mayer Brown as one of the most innovative North American law firms based on Hank's work on these matters.
- Successfully argued a writ of prohibition seeking the transfer of venue for twelve pharmaceutical product liability actions before the Missouri Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended grant of summary judgment in a pharmaceutical product liability action at the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on the issue of causation.
- Represented one of the largest health agency networks in the world in connection with False Claims Act cases filed in the US District Courts in the Western District of Washington and the Northern District of Illinois.
Select Financial Services Matters
- Represented a large international bank in obtaining the dismissal of antitrust and other claims brought by numerous classes of plaintiffs arising out of the setting of various benchmark interest rates, including USD LIBOR, JPY LIBOR and EURIBOR.
- Represented an international life insurance company in connection with claims alleging anticompetitive conduct in connection with the purchase and sale of life insurance policies on the secondary market.
- Defended a major financial services company and various of its banking and broker-dealer affiliates against claims by monoline insurers alleging aiding and abetting fraud of various subsidiaries in connection with their sponsoring of residential mortgage-backed securities transactions and breach of contract claims in connection with the governing transactional documents.
- Represent a major mortgage-services company in connection with False Claims Act litigation pending in the Southern District of Indiana. The suit alleges that our client knowingly certified loans that did not meet HUD underwriting guidelines for inclusion within FHA insurance programs. After granting our motion to dismiss, the court granted Relator leave to replead.
- Defended a leading global bank against allegations that the bank helped a rogue trader conceal more than $700 million in foreign exchange trading losses.
- Obtained dismissal of more than two-thirds of all claims asserted against a leading global bank and alleging $500 million in damages from the purported inflation of the valuation of certain mortgage-based hedge funds.
- Represent a large mortgage-based hedge fund in all aspects of litigation arising out of the subprime mortgage crisis.
- Obtained dismissal of Florida blue sky and common law claims against a foreign currency clearing broker and successfully defended that ruling at Florida's Fourth District Court of Appeal.
Boston College Law School, JD, cum laude
Northwestern University, BA
Inscriptions au Barreau
- New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit