For over 150 years Mayer Brown has been providing legal services in Hong Kong and is one of the few global law firms with a full-time shipping practice. Our experience extends across the full spectrum of maritime law covering both shipping finance and dry shipping. With offices in the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, we offer clients local market knowledge with a truly global reach, making us the "go-to" shipping law firm, which is backed by a strong team of ship finance lawyers with over six decades of shipping experience.
Our reputation in shipping finance space
Our acclaimed shipping practice is regarded as "[an] expert in ship finance" – Chambers Asia Pacific 2016. Our proven track record is truly manifested through our continuous top tier rankings in shipping finance in leading international legal directories since 2008. The recent awards and prestigious prizes won in Asia and China include the "Shipping & Maritime Law Firm of the Year (International) 2015" by China Law & Practice and the "Ship Finance Award 2015" by Seatrade Maritime Award Asia.
What do we do in Shipping
- Shipping finance. We advise many of the world's top lenders and lessors on their loan transactions including charter documentation and the sale, purchase and registration of ships.
- LNG transportation. We have a long history of assisting sponsors with LNG vessel time charters, new-building contracts, LNG terminal user agreements and marine services agreements for operation of LNG terminals.
- Export financing. We act for major lenders, arrangers and borrowers in drafting and negotiating finance documents covered by SINOSURE, KSURE, China-Exim Bank and the Export Credit Agencies of Denmark and Norway.
- Shipping litigation and arbitration. We advise on the full range of dry shipping work such as ship arrest and mortgage enforcement, sale and purchase disputes and charterparty arbitrations. Our shipping team also collaborates with our Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Insolvency and Insurance teams to advise on complex contentious matters for our ship finance clients in relation to their customers' defaults. We act in many high-profile ship finance workouts including matters involving Chapter 11 & 15 issues as well as prominent maritime claims.
- Commercial and operational arrangements. We advise on all aspects of shipbuilding, repair and maintenance, the acquisition and sale of ships and contracts for management and employment of ships including drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts.
- Regulatory. We advise on all aspects of regulatory issues related to the shipping industry, including registration of ships and mortgages overseas, tax, embargoes and trading regulations.
Meet our shipping team
Our award-winning team is comprised of multinational shipping lawyers with extensive experience across key financial hubs including Hong Kong, Singapore, London and the United States. If you are facing challenges or need rapid legal advice in the maritime sector, please contact Maggie Cheung or Dean Young.