“Terence Tung has made a name for himself for his work with regulatory and compliance issues as well as liquidation procedures.”Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
Terence Tung is the senior partner of Mayer Brown in Hong Kong and leads the firm’s practice in Asia (excluding Japan).
He has extensive experience and knowledge in cross-border litigation disputes and is particularly experienced in various aspects of contentious matters at different levels of the People's Court and the Courts of Hong Kong.
He is also very experienced in liquidation and debt restructuring matters and led the foreign aspects of the liquidation case of Guangdong International Trade & Investment Corporation (GITIC), which was one of the largest bankruptcy case of a financial institution in China. He has also advised on the exit strategy of foreign investors in China and the liquidation of foreign invested companies in China.
As the Chinese government steps up its enforcement efforts in respect of regulatory and compliance matters, Terence has also been involved in counselling foreign companies to conduct internal investigations and assisting in investigations relating to tax and corruption matters initiated by authorities in China and elsewhere. He has also diversified his practice to cover regulatory and compliance issues.
Terence is also a China-Appointed Attesting Officer (appointed by the Ministry of Justice of PRC) and an arbitrator of the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) and the Shanghai International Arbitration Centre (SHIAC).
He speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
- Represents foreign companies and mainland Chinese enterprises in arbitration and litigation cases involving commercial, contractual and banking disputes conducted in China and Hong Kong.
- Acts for the liquidation committees of Guangdong International Trust & Investment Corporation (GITIC) and its related companies in the liquidation process involving 569 proofs with an aggregate amount of RMB 38.777 billion.
- Acts for various companies in liquidation to realise their assets and recover debts due to them.
- Counsels foreign companies to conduct internal investigations and assist in investigations initiated by public security authorities, customs authorities, administration of industry and commerce authorities, tax authorities etc.
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Top 50 lawyers (foreign firm) for China-related business - China Business Law Journal’s A-List (2018)
- Local Disputes Star (China) - Arbitration, General Commercial, Restructuring & Insolvency – Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
- Leading AsiaLaw Dispute Resolution Lawyer in China - Asia Law & Practice Survey (2009)