William H. Stallings
Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Antitrust & Competition, Transportation
"William Stallings is an ‘energetic and smart’ lawyer, according to respondents who effuse he is 'persuasive in front of agencies in M&A-related matters’"
William H. Stallings is a partner in Mayer Brown's Washington DC office, where he co-leads the firm’s global Antitrust & Competition practice. Bill’s competition and consumer protection practice covers domestic and global merger reviews, government investigations, cartels, litigation (including class actions), and government procurement matters. He regularly appears before the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission.
At Mayer Brown
- Represented Advanced Disposal Services in its $4.6 billion acquisition by Waste Management. The US Justice Department’s Antitrust Division and a number of state antitrust enforcement agencies investigated the deal, with DOJ describing it as presenting “the most significant consolidation in the waste industry in over a decade.” Bill handled the investigations on behalf of ADS and was heavily involved in negotiating consent decrees that resolved all competition issues to allow the deal to close.
- Advised Dow Inc. on antitrust issues relating to its agreement to divest certain US Gulf Coast marine and terminal operations and assets to Vopak Industrial Infrastructure Americas, a joint venture of Royal Vopak and BlackRock's Global Energy & Power Infrastructure Fund, for $620 million.
- Lead antitrust counsel to Virgin America in its multibillion-dollar acquisition by Alaska Airlines in 2016, creating the fifth-largest airline in the United States. Bill advised Virgin America on the antitrust considerations relating to the sale, represented the company before the US Department of Justice's (DOJ) Antitrust Division throughout the department's second request review and handled private litigation that threatened to derail the transaction.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD
- District of Columbia